Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had this problem solved but it's back.

I have a 69 with a new alternator and just put a solid state regulator on it.

I the previous problem the generator light stayed on and the voltage hung around 12 volts. I replaced the regulator with a new solid state unit and the light went off and voltage went up to 14 or so.

Yesterday a new problem started. At cruising speed the generator light came on and the voltage was at about 12 again. I stopped the car an pushed the gas pedal down to increase rpm and the light went out and the voltage went back up to 14.

It happened several more times while driving in town. If I'm stopped at a light and the rpm drops the light does not necessarily come on. If the light is out when I stop is does not come on again until I'm moving (low rpm does not turn the light on). It normally happens when I'm moving.

The belt appears to be tight.

TIA

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have AutoZone check the alternator. Sounds like it's acting up. If I remember you put a solid state regulator in there. These shouldn't care about differences in RPM.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John:

I took it down to Auto Zone and voltage was slighty low so they swapped it out. With no load it's now well above 14 volts, drops down to about 12 with AC and fan on at idle. I haven't had it on the road yet and the problem was intermittent. I hope this fixes it. If it does, that's 2 beers I owe you. Thanks.

(BTW: Each time I change I get a better looking alternator. Next one should be show quality)

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

[This message has been edited by BobFmTyler (edited 08-29-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I hope it's not running to far above 14 volts. 14.7 is about tops before the battery starts cooking. Still sounds like that alternator is struggling at idle with everything on. May consider getting a bigger one. Got a Nova that does the same thing. The correct size alternator dips down at idle with everything on. I'm going bigger when it goes out.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems to be OK now John, 12.7 with AC on at idle and about 14 with rpm. Will peak out at about 14.5 and then drop back to 14. I'll take it out for a ride tomorrow.

------------------
Bob

My 69 Malibu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts