Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are we becoming prejudiced about age in here? who is this 16 year old SoCalRat that thinks he is a hot rodder?? if it wasn't for us old farts who started the hobby it would'nt be here and if it was'nt for at least one old fart SOcalRat would'nt be here either!!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ken2,
I posted a reply in my post. This is why I started the club because people think that we have no idea how to even change a spark plug. Also, Ken, I do look up to you guys. My heroes are Ed"Big Daddy" Roth, Currie, Skip Cain, and other hot rodders & pinstripers from YOUR generation. I also am a part of Christian Rods & Customs, which is primarily men over the age of 50 and I look up to them. You will also read that I apologived if I upset anyone,which you obviously did not read, here it is: H5O,
I spoke with Al via e-mail and we both opened our eyes as to this post. I was going to post this in a post called "I Apologize", but Al told me not to. But let me first off publicly apologive to anyone who I may have offended. I started this club because while I was at a car show a man in this hobby that I looked up to came over to my friend and I and asked, "Hey X-ers, where are your riceburners?" as some kind of challenge even though I am very much in classic cars. I hate being stereotyped and left out, but it happens all the time. Just as because I live in SoCal I am "supposed" to be a surfer, which I do surf, but not because of where I live, but because I enjoy it. I am also sorry for singling out a group of people and using GenX
as my target for this post, but I only started the club because instead of beating the narrow-minded man with a brick like some of us here would do
I decided to make light out of it and start a club for a generation that is judged so much, MY generation. So, what I am trying to say by all of this is
you're welcome to join the club. Heck, if someone has a 73 Laguna, a 74 Gremlin, or a 87 Buick GN they should not be singled out so welcome abord.

DG,
If you read up above I hope you see why I named it GenX because I took it in light from some man.

And finally to Al and all the others who make this site possible, I give you a well deserved THANK YOU! And to Al, you taught me a great lesson, for every man who is narrow-minded and judges people, there is
always someone like you and Skip to back us up and understand where we are coming from.

And finally to Skip, who was and still is the epitome of goodness and giving, I thank you for all the help you gave me and others in this site and acknowledging us.I can only follow in your footsteps & pray to be as good
as a man as you. Hope you're crusin' up there in heaven! Colossians 3:15-17
Thank you all,
Jason

PS Read that verse!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Someone has to carry on after we're too damn old to lift the hood. My 18 year old son has taken an interest in repairing and maintaining his own vehicle, even he though he plans to attend college to learn about computers and electronics. Plans are in the works to find him a Chevelle of his own to restore. (He likes the look of the 66 and 67 models.) If the gen-xers want to acknowledge their Chevelles on a dedicated sight, more power to them. After all, they learn useful skills in the process of restoring a car. Plus, Al has always given his support to other Chevelle clubs on this sight. I'm always glad to meet people who aren't afraid of getting dirt and grease under their fingernails.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Thank you Randy. And also Ken, can I call you sir? Sir, if you read PREJUDICE in the dictionary, you will find that 1.injury or damage resulting from some judgement or action in disregard of one's rights, 2.preconcieved judgement or opinion
Sir,
1. If I did in fact "injure" you in any way, you will notice I already apologized a long time ago.
2. Sir, I think you have just dug yourself a 6 ft hole on this one. "Who is this 16 year old that thinks he's a hot rodder?" Did I ever once say I was a hot rodder? Under the definition of prejudice you will notice that a preconcieved judgement is exactly what you did to me.
3. You are a Calif. man, what is the Old Farts Gang & Over th Hill Gang? How come I can not join those clubs? Have a good day sir.
And Jason is my real name since you asked & also my grandfather was a hot rodder & mechanic in the 50's. That's where I learn it from.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
SoCalRat, you just keep runnin' man. Don't let stuff like this distract you. Focus and drive on. We're all gonna die some day and someone has to keep the fire burning!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-23-99).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love this topic! I'm 40 years old. That puts me right in Old-Fart-In-Training (OFIT)category. I intend to go kicking and screaming.

My advice to fellow OFIT members. Make a friend of a generation Xer and get a ride in his rice burner.

Its fun!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe 16 year olds are Generation Y. Gen Xers are not younger than about 25 (old enough to have seen Star Wars when it came out the first time).

p.s. It's not a dash in anal-retentive, it's a hyphen.

·
Registered
283 Posts
SoCalRat-

I'm with you man. I would hope that the older generations would want us to become "street rodders". I look up to them to, an just because I'm a huge fan of this era, doesn't mean I'm taking away credit from the men and women who were truly a part of it. I just wish that the older generations would accept us more, and maybe even lead the way so that we all don't end up driving rice burners!!!! P.S. I'll never drive one of those no matter what, so don't worry!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
hey SoCalRat i just restored my 66 El Camino with the help of my 13 year old son.the 66 is his when he proves he deserves "i.e. a job and responsibility"we started it when he was 9.he alresdy wnats to get another car because he misses working on the 66.you keep going for it.there is no age limit on when you can enjoy picaso or rembrant "spellig ?"
so why does muscle car enjoyment have to have an age limit?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just because we aren't in our 40's or 50's, does that mean we're not allowed to enjoy ours and other cars? If someone in the "old fart" generation hadn't started the trend, I'm sure someone in ours WOULD have. We all love cars, so why is this even an issue? This club, in my opinion, is to show that there are still young people out there who love these old cars that you got to mess around with when they were new. We aren't trying to alienate anyone here, just trying to show that we hate rice burners as much as you and to break the modern teenage stereotypes of kids with lowriders and big speakers, who don't have responsibility or taste in automobiles.
WHEW! Didn't know I was so full of hot air!

Let's play nice now, boys and girls. :p

------------------

Eric "Ponch" Taylor
'72 350 Malibu

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree that musclecar racing and restoration is a hobby that could easily die out in one generation if we don't take active steps to introduce these cars to our youngsters. Realistically, most of us love our 1964-72 musclecars because it takes us back to a time when we, too, were young and thought we were red-hot. Most people in their teens, 20's and 30's don't really even know what a Chevelle is (though they know Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, and other cars still in active production).

To teach my oldest son, who is now 16, instead of helping him buy a late-model pickup like all of his friends, I encouraged him to buy a '71 Nova and "get into the engine and see how it works". Of course, he almost destroyed it and it took many weekends and lots of money to get it up and going again, but at least he has a basic understanding now of the parts and functions of a small-block Chevy. I am sure he will always have a love and appreciation for the cars of our era.

Moral: Be sure to take every opportunity to show off your car and talk 'car-talk' to the youngsters, ESPECIALLY if they drive rice-rockets (and compliment them on their cars, too...they may have put in as much blood, sweat, and tears into their cars as we have into ours).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Ken, got a little too much time on your hands? I guess I'm too young to listen to Elvis, Roy Orbison, and Johnny Cash, but I'll do it anyway, if for no other reason than to *****you off(I do like them, though).I'll be 22 tomorrow and I already feel like an old man when I'm around most teenagers. Why give those young people who actually have some common sense a hard time? Get over it man. To say that you have a chip on your shoulder would be a vast understatement.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

[This message has been edited by RagTop70 (edited 07-23-99).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
SoCal calm down man. =) People are intitled to their oppions, donsent mean we have to aggree just that we have to tolerate them. If Ken dissagrees with the idea of our club its his right to say so. Of course you can rebuttle ect. ect. but just dont get too mad=)

-Chris

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I have to assume ken2's comments came out a little wrong, because I looked through his other posts and he seems like a pretty good guy.

[up on soapbox]
Now obviously whatever is here was invented/created by someone and we all have a pretty good idea that SoCalRat wasn't an immaculate conception, so what's the point?

SoCalRat - No need to defend yourself or worry about this. You are welcome to hotrod "boomer" cars just like ken2 is welcome to type at his X'er computer.

[down off soapbox]

Btw...Thanks to anybody who had anything to do with my Chevelle!

------------------
Jeff Carpenter
65 Malibu Convertible
See it before- www.littlecars.com/car1.jpg
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Registered
36 Posts
can't we all just get along

·
Registered
948 Posts
After realizing everything I said, I agree with Dave Silva. I did not open the club because I wanted to rebel against older generations, but to rebel against the stereotypes of MY generation. And by the way, I am Generation X(beginning of 1961 to end of 1983). I do not drive riceburners and I won't unless you pay me, which the $ would go right into my 67. That's what I was moving away from. I love when kids that drive them shutter at my car. I am just trying to get my generation & younger generations involved in classic cars. My new 14 year old neighbor, who's family has 2 CRX's & a lowered Toyota truck just talked to me last night about my car. He was afraid to get one because his dad & him had no car knowledge. Over the next year or so, I am going to give him as much of an understanding and appreciation for old cars as I can. He came over today after looking up cars on the internet all day and said he wanted a 67 Nova. More power to him. I'm going to try to find one for him and help him fix it up. And Ken, if you have any more comments or complaints, please e-mail me. I do not feel this needs to be brought up in a public place. And jeffc, I have read some of ken2's other posts. You will actually see that I helped him with providing an website for another Tech person. I guess I cannot make everyone happy. Peace! Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
my goal in joing GX C&R is that of so cal with the added notion of getting young people to drive AMERICAN cars regardless of age. Our econmy depends on the auto industry and i hate seeing old jap. guys get rich off our hard earned money.

-Chris

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Closing this posting. Constructive discussion is always welcome, but the title isn't going to do anyone any good here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.