Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thinking about the future and was wondering what can be expected from going from a 468 (595lift) oval port 2.19 1.88 valves 9.2 comp. dual plane 850cfm motor to installing a 6-71 blower? i realize i would have to change the crank to steel and get better rods,lower the compression and gaskets/rings. as a mentioned in the future$$$ but what can be expected if down correct? what have i missed? what are the general feelings about streetability?

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Have you had your current setup on the dyno? I see no reason why a well set up street 6-71 shouldn't add ~ 180 hp.
I do not have the software to estimate your power with a 6-71 blower, and I'm sure that more info would be needed to get a potentially accurate estimate.

Most likely you will need to change to a blower friendly camshaft in addition to dropping the compression, something with about 114 degrees lobe separation angle.

With a Roots style blower like a 6-71, the hp change may well be secondary to the change in the torque curve. With a Roots blower you will have almost full boost (and almost full torque) available anytime you whack the throttle fully open (vs a centrifugal supercharger that builds boost more in relation to increasing engine rpms rather than throttle opening).

May I suggest that you get an 8-71 instead of the 6-71. Weiand makes a very affordable 8-71, and you don't need to spin an 8-71 as fast as a 6-71 to get the same boost levels - this means that your manifold air temperature will be lower, which is a good thing.

The 468 in my signature is getting a ProCharger D2R centrifugal supercharger - it may even be complete and dyno results in hand before the month is over.

Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.