Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 70 SS454 has a regular SS hood, not the cowl induction. I don't have hood pins either and all this is fine with me,but does this tell anything about the car? There were 2 different 454 packages and I was just curious if the ls6 came standard with those options. I do have the band-aid stripes, someone had told me that only the cowl induction hoods should have those, I don't beleive this is correct though. Why wasn't AC an option with the either 454 package, I assume because AC is a horsepower robber and the people who wanted a 454 weren't interested in any options that would reduce power. I am new to the forum but I will be using it a lot . Too bad for y'all. Don

·
Registered
337 Posts
The regular SS hood was the standard hood for the SS. Cowl Induction was optional only on big block cars, and stripes were optional on all SS's.
The hood and stripe combo is correct for your car.
On the hood pins, I'm not 100% sure but I think on later 70' they became available on the standard SS hood. But I do know they were part of the cowl Induction package from 70 -72.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 Montecarlo

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hi Don, I am not sure about the hood pins, maybe they were optional on any SS hood. About the SS stripes, they were mandatory with the SS option, I think the only way you did not have them, someone had to option them off the car, stripe delete. A/C was an option on all engines except the solid lifter cammed engines, the LS6 and L78. I think because the idle quality was deteriorated, not supporting the extra load and heat, and extra RPM's these engines turned? Vacuum issues? Someone knows, if I am wrong here. If you have the LS5, you could get the A/C on it, if you do not, someone obviously did not want it for some reason. Hope that helped

------------------
My70ChevelleSS

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Stripes were standard with optional Cowl Induction as were hood pins. The domed non-c.i. hood was standard on the SS without pins (in '70) & without stripes. Stripes could be deleted from c.i. hoods by special order, and stripes could be added to the domed non-c.i. hood at extra cost (I've even heard of a standard flat-hooded Malibu carrying the stripes from the factory on special order, but that's a freak.)
GM engineers didn't offer a/c with the solid lifter engines (except the Vega) because they feared belt slinging and, more importantly, warranty claims from overspeeding the GM Fridgidaire compressors (they wern't as tolerant of revs as other type of compressors)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Cam, in 1972 you could get SS stripes on a non SS, flat hood for the Custom El Camino's at least that is what it says in the literature that they published at the time. The RPO was the same as with an SS hood (on which these stripes were standard) D88/YF8 or D88/ZR8.

I doubt this applies to the 70's but thought I would add it.

------------------
Bryan Shook
My website with lots of classic cars
1972 Chevrolet El Camino Options, Codes & Pricing
Favorite Quote: Some people have shrinks. Some people have their garage.

[This message has been edited by elcamino72 (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
Registered
543 Posts
the domed hood was part of the SS package, the cowl induction and hood pins came together as an option I think. but I thought you could get a/c on the regular 454 in 70, now the LS6 was different. Is your ElCamino a factory air model?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I never had AC in mine. I wouldn't mind it though. I don't have to be 100% factory correct, especially when it comes to being comfortable. I wish I could find out which 454 came with mine when it was new. It doesn't specify anywhere on the cowl tag does it? I did some checking and you could have AC with the regular 454, I was mistaken.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don Showmaker (edited 02-28-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.