Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
I will let Gene speak for himself when he sees this but I think he put Magnaflow mufflers on... or at least at one point in time he had them on but may have changed them.

I also have these on my 67 but I put on Stainless Steel units. I looked at Genes exhaust system at Chevelleabration and his mufflers (not stainless) were much longer than my style. Mine are only about 15-16" long (going from memeory) and give off a very deep throaty sound until you put your foot into it, then it has a loud crackling sound. This is from a stock 396/350HP motor with Dynomax headers into 3" pipes and 2.5" tail pipes. In my opinion,a lot of the sound variation from car to car has to do with Compression ratio & pipe size and not just mufflers. My recollection as Gene hammered it down the 1/8 mile Friday night was that his car is quieter than mine and sounded significantly different even though he has a much helathier motor than mine. In this case, I think the size of his muffler is the difference assuming he is still using Magnaflow technology.

One other point, at the time I got mine, Magnaflow could only be purchased through Muffler shops. This may have changed.

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Robert, well said. I read here that 22" cases are the largest muffler you can fit on a Chevelle. So I had a local installer order up a pair of Magnaflow #12578's. It is MUCH quieter than the 2 chambered one I had ( which were less than 12" in case length).

The exhaust was quite radical before, as one might imagine with 3.5" headpipes/X pipe and mufflers that look like they go on a go-kart. Now its a sleeper!

Lonnie, they look very well constructed and although I was told they wouldnt compact like Dynomax's and get louder, they did a bit.

Here's the link: http://www.magnaflow.com/03oo.htm

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Magnaflows, thats it, I couldn't remember the name.

I agree that the same muffler sounds a lot different from car to car with different HP. I have to get rid of these 40 series deltaflow Flowmasters. Very loud at idle, and full throttle you can hear me for miles.

It is the 2.5" kit with h pipe and tails. I like the way it sounds but it is way too loud.

Thanks guys.

Lonnie

------------------
70 Chevelle 15.01 @96
67 Camaro street strip 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro daily driver 12.10 @110.6
www.geocities.com/lonnie67_1966

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.