Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was looking at 2 Gen VI blocks at the same location. One had the timing cover pattern for the cast timing cover, the other had the old stamped steel pattern. I thought all VI's had cast aluminum cover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some very late production Gen V blocks were marked as Gen VI but still retained the early 10 bolt front cover .

TOM

·
Premium Member
12,999 Posts
If using a HFT cam with the cast cover what do you do for cam end play?
Nothing,,,,,,
You do not need to control cam end play on a flat tappet of any kind the lobe taper pulls it against the block

·
Premium Member
12,999 Posts
do these blocks use the step nose cams???
Yes they do but.......
You can use either cam in all BBC's they all have at a minimum the bosses for the thrust plate bolts & the majority will be drilled & tapped
Almost all early blocks were drilled for the factory gear drive thrust plate so the "step nose" is a drop in with the correct timing set

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Yes they do but.......
You can use either cam in all BBC's they all have at a minimum the bosses for the thrust plate bolts & the majority will be drilled & tapped
Almost all early blocks were drilled for the factory gear drive thrust plate so the "step nose" is a drop in with the correct timing set
what i was getting at was more that the gen-v was equipped to use a step nose cam;
but are there step nose flat tappet cams??

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
^ no need. The retainer sets endplay and prevents the cam from walking forward.
Flat tappet cams walk rearward by design, there's no reason to restrict their movement forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts