Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is similar to other questions here, but just enough different to make me ask it anyway. A good friend of mine is rebuilding a 64 Olds F85...He had the dash and wiring harnesses completely out. While rewiring, he converted to a 1 wire alternator. His gen. lite stays on now, even with the key off. The only time it goes out is when the key is in the "on" position, but without the engine running....when the engine is running, its still on. The car is charging at 14 volts, so the alternator is working fine. There is no more brown wire from the back of the dash, as he no longer needed it. Personally, I think he can just take out the bulb, and not worry about it. But I thought I would ask here just to see what you guys thought. He also hooked up an ammeter, but the hot wire is just going thru it, no wiring problems here so I doubt that could be a problem. And I warned him about the ammeter too, not a good idea in my mind. Thanks, John

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The idiot light does nothing on a true one-wire alternator. You are right, pull the bulb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts