Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71 El Camino SS. I recently replaced my front/lights wiring harness and the voltage regulator. I also had my alternator and horn relay checked out and both were fine. But as soon as the battery is hooked up, the Gen light comes on, and as soon as I turn the key the light goes off. My voltmeter also reads at 12v. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
OK...battery hooked up, gen light on...if you mean this happens with the key in the "ON" position, I think that is normal.

When you turn the key, the light goes off...again do you mean to the "START" position...again, that is normal.

If the gen light is on with the key in the off position, then you do have some troubles. I don't have any diagrams right infront of me but maybe someone else can help more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about not being clear. The gen light is on when the key is in the off position and even when there is no key in the ignition. The gen light goes off as soon as the key is turned to the on or start position.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do you have a MSD box installed? If not, pull the alternator connector off with the key off. The light should go off. Measure the blue wire to ground with the connector off and the key off. You should have no voltage. Post back after you try those things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have a MSD box installed, but I checked the blue and white wires anyways, here what I got:
White = 11.2v
Blue = 0.0v
Alternator Bat 12.1v
Battery 12.2v

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do you have the diode installed according to the MSD instructions? Think it's on page 8. If you don't have the instructions, I'll find the link to them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked out the diode and everything was correct. Since then I've tried two different voltage regulators and tested my alternator again and still no change. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Couple of your readings look backwards.
What happens to the GEN light is you pull the regulator connector off when the engine is not running? It should go off.
With the regulator connector off, engine off, key off measure the brown wire to ground. There should be 0 volts.
With the regulator connector off, engine off, key off measure the regulator terminal where the brown wire plugs into. There should be 0 volts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I disconnect the regulator connector the gen light goes off.
With the regulator connector off the brown wire showed 0 volts.
With the connector off, the brown wire terminal also reads 0 volts.
I did all of this with the engine off and the key in the off position.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Any voltage to ground on the IGN terminal, on the fuseblock, to ground with the key off? That point should check the other side of the lamp. It's got to be coming from one side of the lamp or the other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts