Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just got my car running again after installing a Painless harness in my 70 El Camino. The problem is that my generator light stays in the on position even after the car is started and despite the fact that my brand new, internally regulated SI alternator is working perfectly and charging at 14.6 V. I wired everything as instructed, but I have a feeling that the jumper wire from the #2 post to the output post is unnecessary in my case (?). Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the jumper only necessary for using gauge type SS dash? I have the swept-speedometer with idiot light combo, and the people at painless insist that my dash didn't come with the car and are of little help. Any ideas?

Ryan

------------------
Arizona State University Student
Mechanical Engineering

1970 El Camino
Upgrading on a student budget - Jealous of those with cash!!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's not the connection on #2 that works the idiot light. It's the connection to #1. The brown wire ties to one leg of the GEN idiot light. The other side of the idiot light goes to 12 volts. You should have tied the harness brown wire to the blue wire. This connection should not be tied to the old regulator, just to each other. Maybe that's the problem. When the alternator is working, the blue wire goes to 12 volts. 12 volts on each side of the GEN idiot light turns the light off.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely removed the old external regulator since I was replacing the entire harness as well.

John - when I set up the light, I ran the brown wire in and the other side to ground, but if I understand you correctly the other side should also be 12 volts? In the painless harness, the brown wire coming in is a 12 volt switched source which I thought would go to ground once the alternator was charging. I'll have to call them again.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally, there was a switched 12 volt source for one side of the lamp. This comes from the ignition switch and goes to one side of the GEN, OIL, and TEMP lamps (among other things). This was a pink wire that has 12 volts on it when the ignition switch is ON. The other side, of the GEN lamp (opposite from the ignition) is the brown wire that originally went to the regulator. This brown wire originally tied (switched) to the blue wire inside the voltage regulator. Blue wire ran to the alternator field coil. Field coil is tied to ground. No voltage out of the field coil the blue/brown wires are essentially grounded and the light comes on. When the blue/brown wires go high (12 volts) by a good running alternator/regulator, the lamp goes off because it now has 12 volts on each side of it. 12 volts from the ignition switch, 12 volts from the blue/brown wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts