Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I fixed a problem I was having with points & dist caps burning up: The wire from my Coil to the Points within the Dist was damaged in several places and the terminal where the wire attached to the Coil was loose and ragged . I cleaned and covered the nicked insulation with electrical tape & replaced the terminal with a new one. That seemed to fix the problem with the car "missing" on a load.

...but :( , now my Gen light is staying on much longer after I start the car. In fact, this morning, the light stayed on until I was running around 45 or 50 mph. The gen light historically liked to stay on if the engine was at low rpms....but would go out if I kicked the revs up. I learned to set the idle spd @ 800 and that stopped that problem.

My question is this: Can / does that wire from my Coil to the Points play any part in a "system" that could / would cause the gen light to now come on and stay on unless I'm driving 50 mph :confused: ???

Perhaps the crimp-on connector terminal I put on the end of the wire [at the coil] is not up to snuff?? The one I removed was copper in color, the one I replaced it with is one of those aluminum/metal "generic" terminals.

....or is that whole thing a coincidence and my alt or battery is dying?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike O'H

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

....just trying to follow-up for those with similar problems....

Thanks for your feedback.

I had my alternator checked out and it was fine. Pulled off the regulator and replaced it with a cheap one I got from the alternator shop and the problem went away :D .

...then I took my original regulator black cover off, drilled out the rivets holding the cheap cover on the new one...and replaced it with the "old" cover. Looks a good as new

....saved a few ounces as well 'cause the new one has a PCB within. My track times should improve now ;)

Thanks again.

Mike O'H

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had numerous charging problems with my chevelle.1975 to early 80's chevy switched to internal reg alternator on most their cars and trucks.I bought one and it bolted right on.They also carried a wire adapter that plugs into your new alt.and existing wire plug.Unplug your voltage reg and jumper two wires and your there.Been running errands in it and she charging nicely, 14v and bright head lights under way or idling at the light.No cutting, splicing, soldering or mickey mousing

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnnie,

....thanks for the note. That sounds like a good "plan B" if my current fix doesn't work out.

Mike O'H

1 - 6 of 6 Posts