Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine called me today and he has a problem with his 1968 Chevelle Malibu. The car is mostly original and unmolested.
He says that without the key in the ignition and the ignition switch off, the GEN light is on. When he starts the car, and the key is in the "on" position, the GEN light is not on.
Must be some sort of electrical problem. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and maybe know what to look for.

Nate

·
Super Moderator
13,009 Posts
Nate,
This post really should be in "electrical" by the way.
I seem to recall that a stuck voltage regulator might cause this problem. Might be easy to check, give it a smack with a screwdriver handle and see if the light goes out.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Like Bill says it's somewhere in the output of the regulator circuit. Beating it may help, but first try to change out the regulator. Try an inexpensive solid state one made by Wells. Auto Zone and others carry these. You may have a second problem that you just noticed. That is, the light not coming on in the RUN position. Try the regulator first and if it still acts up, post again down in electrical.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If the screw drive doesn't do it get a BFH and give it a wack,if it falls off get a new one.Naw get a new one anyways chances are it'll do it again...FRED

------------------

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.