Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its on again!!!! i can't stand this crap, all the time, GEN GEN... its the most frustraiting light i've ever encountered in my life, and i've encountered some anoying lights..

god i just don't know what to do, its probably just some stupid loose wire, but no, it has to be some generic light! ga!!

sorry to vent

·
Registered
414 Posts
welcome to the club

every since my wire fell off my alternator, i replaced everything, and it still stays on, but the car works, so its just there to screw with me

·
Registered
433 Posts
lije they said on car talk in haiku form:

warning light on
remove dash and stab with pen
warning light off

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Originally posted by ChaosMalibu:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 70_Malibu:
You could always put a strip of electrical tape over it! Piece -o- cake!! ;)
Why not just remove the bulb?? :confused: :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]It was a feeble attempt at humor. Why not try to fix the problem? (easier said than done...) Belt?Voltage regulator? Connections? Bad wires?

Good Luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
belt = new
alt = new
regulator = new

something IS wrong though, the batter is hissing again like its being over charged and my sterio is acting finicky.

i need to rewire it but its my daily driver, i just don't have the time or resourses, i'm driving my poor baby into the ground :(

·
Registered
433 Posts
put a voltmeter on the battery once it's running, and see what's actually being fed into it for charging voltage. Your "new" regulator could be as bad as my "new" regulator - i.e. - didn't regulate anything, but flicker on the GEN light at above 2.5K RPM. I have an in-cabin voltmeter, I was reading 18 V in the dash at 5K RPM :eek:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*grumble* i'm in a very grumpy mood cuz of this.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Originally posted by 70_Malibu:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ChaosMalibu:
Why not just remove the bulb?? :confused: :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]It was a feeble attempt at humor. Why not try to fix the problem? (easier said than done...) Belt?Voltage regulator? Connections? Bad wires?

Good Luck!
</font>[/QUOTE]My bad.. I tried joking too.. I just noticed i used a bad combination of smilies.. :D No harm done. right? :D

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
If everything else works, it could be the good ole ground problem. If the ground is bad, the current will work in mysterious ways, trying to find it's way through somewhere else. For example, the dash lights can try to get their ground through the gen light bulb. Tail lights are notorious, if the brake lights come on when you put it in reverse, the ground is the first thing to check. Would apply the same logic to the gen light, but I don't really know where to look for the bad ground. Happy hunting, electrical problems are so much fun ;)

P.S. Yeah, I know I didn't explain it in a very scientific way, just because I'm not an electrician at all. But WTF, I usually get the car fixed anyway

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i replaced the regulator, the GEN light is still on.

the battery is still hissing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
y'know what, mine hisses too. i just thought it was from the heat.
my light stays on until i hit about 2k rpm. i have a new battery, volt reg, alternator, and a new ground cable. im thinking it might be my cororded dirty (+) red cable so im gonna replace that tomorrow. manifold off, i can see the wires going to my solenoid arnt perfect either

·
Registered
604 Posts
Originally posted by ChaosMalibu:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ChaosMalibu:

Good Luck!
</font>[/QUOTE]My bad.. I tried joking too.. I just noticed i used a bad combination of smilies.. :D No harm done. right? :D
</font>[/QUOTE]Too late, we all took a vote and you've been banished from this site j/k :D :D

·
Registered
604 Posts
My bad.. I tried joking too.. I just noticed i used a bad combination of smilies.. :D No harm done. right? :D [/qb]
Too late, we all took a vote and you've been banished from this site j/k :D :D [/QB]

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had this problem too. I haven't driven mines in a while, but when I do I think I'm gonna try changing it out with a new one..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mike,

Don't lose it :mad:

I've been there :rolleyes:

Do a search for my posts under "electrical gremlins" ;)

And a word of advise (from experience)

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR WITH THE BATTERY HISSING,
IT'S OVERCHARGING, IT COULD AND WILL EXPOLDE :eek:

Find the "best" electrical man you can and have them disect the alternator diodes, one of them is failing intermittently :(

Good Luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:(
:( i dont' think its the regulator.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts