Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that this is not chevelle, but you guys should be able to guide me on this...
I am ordering a new Siverado pickup with a 4.8L (small V8) and automatic overdrive. My question has to do with rear axle ratios
there are 3.4 or a 3.7 available. I want the extra power of the higher numerical ratio, but I don't want lousy gas mileage. How much difference would there be?. The 3.4 yields 20 mpg highway.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Man, 20mpg?? I'll be blunt, that really sucks. We have a '99 Siverado with a vortech 350 and it's a 4x4 and on the highway it gets 24. With the smaller engine and no 4x4? you should be up between 25-30 I would think, otherwise, if you want more power get the vortech.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
165 Posts
Boy is there that much diff from '96 to '99? I have a '96 5.7 2500 and the best it'll do is 17-20 on the hwy @ 70mph. and a solid 15mpg all around! It has the 3.7x rear in it great for towing. What gears are in that '99? and how well does it pull?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Nissan I drive every now and then with a 2.4 4banger only gets 20 and its a dog. My other old p/u gets 20 on the highway and thats an old tired V8. I think my Chevelle gets 12-15 depending how much I'm on it. Id be happy getting only 20mpg out a V8 round town.

------------------
JT
71 SS 350 soon to be Vortec 355 then a 454
www.angelfire.com/co/KellyMotorsports

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses:
the mileage noted in my question was listed on the window sticker, the 5.8 liter v8 is listed at 16-18mpg on the sticker. are these numbers realistic??
how much mileage will i lose with the higher numerical ratio? I don't do much trailer towing, but I carry tools and building materials a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.