Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to switch my instrument panel from the idiot lights to gauges. Has anybody done this and is it hard? I hate working with electrical so I would like to know if it would worth doing or not. Any help out there?

·
Registered
974 Posts
howdy pard'ner

just wondering if 'yall got the "three kick rule" in your neck of the woods?

Just having a little fun cowboy, welcome to the hottest little web site east of BFE

Currently I'm swapping out the idiot light dash for a gauge cluster in my 67 Elcamino. I can't say how difficult it will be as of yet. I sent the cluster to D&M Restorations (S.Carolina) a week ago. Yesterday Mike told me it'll be about 4-5 weeks out before they're ready

I happen to have the wiring harness that came with the gauge cluster which will make it a fairly easy task. I did notice there are a lot of differances between the two packages though. Wires for some back lighting will be different, brake & high beam lights are in different locations, not to mention the gauge wiring itself. Overall if your fairly industrious you shouldn't have to much trouble with the swap, just don't plan on driving it for awile

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

My $400 '93 FireBird
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/D:%5cMyPhotos%5cFireBird.JPG

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did the swap on my '69. It was a lot of work and money but it was not difficult. I would recommend buying a new dash harness for the guage package. Everything will fall in place that way. Also make sure the gauges are good before you do all the work.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
You should know that the forward lamp and engine harnesses are both different also. Check out http://www.wiringharness.com I purchased mine from them and they fit perfectly and worked like the OEM's. I consider it money well spent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts