Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gauges

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Riffers70 
#1 ·
My son has a 71 SS and is considering adding or modifying his gauges. Is there a such thing as electric and/or mechnical gauges (i.e. oil, temp, vacuum) ? Any tips on brands , installation, cost and all general info is appreciated.

#2 ·
Yes, there are "electric" and mechanical gauges.(talking aftermarket here)Mechanical use capillary tubes or small tubing for the oil pressure and temp. gauges, while electrical have sending units mounted on the engine and electric wires into the interior. Electrical ,particularly for oil is safer. With mechanical, oil is inside the car, and if the line leaks, lots of flammable oil enters the interior.
As for monitoring your electrical system, a voltmeter provides better info and is safer than an ammeter.An ammeter has large amounts of current running through it.
I prefer "electrical" type oil press and temp gauges and a voltmeter rather than an ammeter.

------------------

#3 ·
Jim,
I agree with 283. Too many things to go wrong with the mechanical where the hot oil is concerned. There are many opinions on this subject as you will probably see in the replies to come.
Myself, I have recently purchased AutoMeters (oil pressure/water temp) for my '70. Quite happy with the results. You can find them in the Summit racing catalog ( www.summitracing.com ). Good Luck!

------------------
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.

Fred
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

[This message has been edited by Riffers70 (edited 05-28-99).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.