Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to installing gauges in my Malibu. The question is how good are the Autometer eletric gauges compared to the mechanical. I really don't want a oil capilary running into the dashboard unless the eletric ones are real junk. I could live with some delay, anything better than idiot lights.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
283 Posts
"Real men" use mechanical

Harley

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
My 67 uses a mech oil, which at first sourt of freaked me out until I thought, hey, when I was a teenaged gearhead we always used mechanical. The only problem I ever had was not tightening the fitting on the gauage properly. Heck, the oil smelled better than that musty smell the carpet had anyway. I did put a Russell stainless sheath over the nylon line in my 67 though.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would go with mechanical, seem to be more accurate. However, if you are going to use mechanical oil pressure, get rid of the nylon hose and replace it with copper tubing. You can find the tubing at you local hardware store, or to be sure and get the right connectors and everything. If you look on page 144 of the Summit catalog, you can see copper as well as braided stainless on the page.
Good Luck!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
341 Posts
Don't tell Harley I said this. (get my a$& whupped) Real 'old' men use mechanical. I would put up the aggravation of running those tubes around and through the firewall, especially the temp unit. Electric for me. Autometer gauges are pretty good stuff. tom

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
hey hey heyheyhey,your makin me feel old now.
If I install electric gauges will I feel younger?Ill try anything.had a oil pressure gauge line break in my 68 gto,there I was walking around school with my feet all black.yea all my moterhead freinds callin me oil boy.also had a electric temp gauge fry.I mean cook!hell,they are both good.I must be old,I have stewart warner mech gauges,Now wait,is that a gray hair,man, I GOTTA GO!67rat member #199

·
Registered
423 Posts
Back when I was a young punk kid, I used mechanical gauges. Worried about the nylon hose, I had braided line made up and found adapters to fit the back of the gauge.

Now that I'm older (or just plain old), I'm running the Autometer electrical gauges.

All kidding aside, as long as the gauges are from a reputable manufacturer, you should have no problem. As far as accuracy, think about how the pressure is marked on the gauge face. It's not in 5 psi steps!

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference & Wagons sections
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the mechanical are the crowd favorite.
I may still go with the eletric, even though they are a few more bucks the oil gauge is $50.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.