Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a good reference for the plain ol' chevelle 1970 options, specifically gauges? i'm a big fan of monitoring engine perf like RMP, oil, temp, etc. I try not to modify my chevelle too much from 'original'. i've searched around and most topics reference the SS options. We poor non-SS owners should form a union...
thanks in advance
gregg

·
Registered
79 Posts
A union? So we get better wages and working conditions?

Do you have the sweep speedo dash, the idiot light dash (round holes with idiot lights), or the gauge dash (round holes with gauges)?

Buck
Proud owner of a customized '70 Malibu

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I'll agree that the 300's (except the '69 300-based SS) came with just the sweep speedo. In have heard of instances at GM where a customer was told that something was unavailable, only to have the customer cancel the order. GM countered with 'O.K., we'll build it the way you want". Such instances were pretty rare, and today likely impossible.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the gauge package, then, would be the same as what was standard on the SS? hmmm. does the SS dash say SS on it? i wouldn't want to have such an obvious change on the car.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a friend that has a 70 chevelle malibu
convertible with a 4-speed and 2 barrel 350
and he had the factory guage package with the round pods. He even has a build sheet to
prove it.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
It's like this guys. For the 70-72's, the sweep guage(long rectangular speedo)dash cluster was standard except if it was a genuine SS. If you ordered an SS, the guages were not standard!!!!! The basic SS(default) dash had the SS style 3 pod cluster, but inside were idiot lights. If you ordered the guage package (at extra cost) you got your 3 pod dash with rpm tach, etc.

Since this was an option and not a standard, it is possible for someone with a Malibu to order the fully functional 3 pod gauge cluster. The only catch I can see is the car had to have a V-8 in it. (Because the tach was wired for 8 cylinders).

So... I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stock '70 300 Deluxe out there with the guage package original from the factory.

Joe (proud owner of a '70 Malibu coupe w/ sweep guages).

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 05-28-99).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
So would a non-SS car ever have the SS dash (with idiot lights) as stock equipment?

Are we saying on a non-SS car the only possibilities are the standard sweep dash or (if upgraded to gauge package) the full SS gauge dash?

The SS idiot light dash would have to have been installed after the car left the factory?

·
Registered
191 Posts
That sounds logical Buck.

Of course the Heavy Chevy (non SS) is then a factor. I believe it came standard with the round idiot light setup. (with option to upgrade)

Keep in mind that Oil was always an idiot light setup. No factory gauge for that.

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I cannot speak for the dash (unfortunately), but my 72 wagon came with some things that multiple salesmen TOLD me that I COULD NOT get! Well, I did. I had to put down a $500., non-refundable deposit. That was a lot for a guy fresh out of college in 1972. I got the wagon with full pwr, ac, BB, Muncie, CI hood (WITHOUT STRIPES), and the base 14in wheels and blackwalls (back then cars came with 5 of the same wheels/tires, and Ralley wheels would not fit into the spare tire hole of a wagon so I took delivery with the base wheels and bought 8" Ralleys and WL tires to install after delivery), and 12bolt 3.31 posi. I tried and tried and tried to get the SS/gage dash, but could not. Even though the wagon shell still exists, I have no proof and no build sheet. My point is, even though certain options were only available on certain models, if you knew or were pushy enough, you COULD get some things which were not normally available.

------------------

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I cannot speak for the dash (unfortunately), but my 72 wagon came with some things that multiple salesmen TOLD me that I COULD NOT get! Well, I did. I had to put down a $500., non-refundable deposit. That was a lot for a guy fresh out of college in 1972. I got the wagon with full pwr, ac, BB, Muncie, CI hood (WITHOUT STRIPES), and the base 14in wheels and blackwalls (back then cars came with 5 of the same wheels/tires, and Ralley wheels would not fit into the spare tire hole of a wagon so I took delivery with the base wheels and bought 8" Ralleys and WL tires to install after delivery), and 12bolt 3.31 posi. I tried and tried and tried to get the SS/gage dash, but could not. Even though the wagon shell still exists, I have no proof and no build sheet. My point is, even though certain options were only available on certain models, if you knew or were pushy enough, you COULD get some things which were not normally available.

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I'll also verify that the SS style gauge dash could be ordered on non-SS cars in '70. I just bought a 70 Malibu conv. with the gauge package, and have both a build sheet and window sticker for documentation. The option is listed as "Special Instrumentation" on the window sticker, option code U14. On the build sheet its identified as "IP Gauges."
------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Rainer (edited 05-28-99).]

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Just to clarify, the round idiot light cluster was standard on the SS and Monte Carlo, and not available on others. The round guage cluster was offered on 2-door Malibus if full gauges were ordered. Remember, Chevy called it the special instrument cluster when describing the standard idiot light package on the SS. Tricky of them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.