Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guages fuse blows on my 70 el camino 396 ss when ever the ignition switch is turned to engage the starter. I have unplugged the gauge wires but the fuse still blows. If the ignition switch is placed in the on position the fuse will not blow. I have had the gauges restored so I don't think thats my problem. The head lights and wiper switch work although not on the instrument circuit panel. The blinkers and hazzards do work which are on the instrument circuit panel. I have looked for expossed wires and have found none. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
For starters, save yourself a couple of dollars in fuses.
Remove the blown fuse. Clip a test light or a light bulb and socket across the fuse clips for the gage fuse. Instead of popping fuses to find the problem the test light will light up if the line is shorted.
After you do that, try turning the key to ON and OFF a few times. See if the light comes on (short). Then turn the key slowing into START. See if the light comes on before the car starts or does the starter have to engage before the light comes on.
Taking a WAG at the problem it might have something to do with the TEMP wire but don't know enough right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,
Thanks for the suggestion. I seem to have found part of the problem, the previous owner had made some modification that was causing the short. Now my problem is with figuring out where the ignition plug that engages the starter plugs in. I have located the plug. It is a 2 slot female plug with a purple and a purple w/white striped wires connected. When I turn the key all the way the tester lights but I can't find a plug to plug it into. I don't know if the previous owner removed it or not. I have traced the wires back from the starter and they contect to the battery, back side of fuse box in the firewall and Silenoid by the distributor. Where the neck does that plug into. Is there a safety switch for the clutch or something? What ya think.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think this plug is for a neutrall safty switch on automatic trans. On sticks they used a shorting bar across both terminals. if this was just hanging could it have shorted aganst somthing

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Plugs into the Neutral Safety Switch terminals. Under the dash, top of the column, about 6 inches from the floor.
The rods from the floor shifter to the column may be missing or disconnected. Maybe the reason the connector was disconnected and perhaps jumped at one time.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Sorry guys.
The start safety switch for a floor shift man trans is attached the clutch pedal. The trans back ling operated the backup lights only.Here's a pic. The top left is a 69 to 71 back up switch. The top right is a 72 backup switch, has the seat belt warning circuit switch. The bottom left is a 69 start safety switch. The bottom right is 70 to 72 start safety switch. The 70 to 72 clutch switch has extension wiring not shown.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have determined that the saftey switch was removed so I bypassed and now the starter engages. One problem fixed noe others to resolve. Here's the next issue. When I got this car nothing on the dash worked so I had the gauges redone and now am putting it back together. Now the good stuff. I have 3 black wires coming out of the main dash wiring harness that don't have a home. The manual shows one hooked to the back of the instrument cluster one that looks like a ground hooked to the dash metal and I can't find where the other one might go. All three are hot when tested. With these three wires going no where I can get the dash lights to work only when the light switch is turned all the way on. The lights won't light up unless the knob is turned. Even with the light knob all the way on, the dash lights shine a little bit through the back of the cluster. I looked at the light switch and the harness shows 6 wires but the plug shows 7 females, is that correct? Even the fuel gauge begins to work when the light knob is turned.
Any thoughts on this mess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help. Update on progress with dash. Everything on the dash works except the Tach, amps gauge, interior dome and dash lights. Oil light, turn signals, brights lamp, temp, clock and fuel all work now. The wiring harness for the light switch has 6 terminals and the switch itself has 7 is this correct? Maybe the switch is bad. The head lights turn on ok. This car still has points by the way incase you have some suggestins on way the tach won't work.
Also on each side of the block there are temp. sensors. I know one is for the temp gauge but which one, the one on the left or right side looking at the engine? Which leads to my next question, what's the second one for and which engine wire attaches to it?
Sorry for the laundry list but I am tring to get this car back together so I can start working on my sons micro sprint car. Race season starts in April. Thanks again for your help and for the pictures, they help.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Make sure small inst light fuse is good.
Did you hook up the tack wire to the negative side of the coil?
Temp sensor is on the drivers side head.
The one on the passenger side is for TCS - you don't need or want this hooked up unless you are going for 100% factory correct restoration.
Go here for TCS info. http://home.comcast.net/~txss/TCS.HTM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man am I brain dead, there was no fuse at all. It was like that when I got it, although when I put a test light on it, there is no power (key on). I jumped it from another fuse and the dash lights did work. I am get'en closer. Any thoughts on why that might be dead? As far as the tach- There is a insulated wire conected to the positive side. There is an orange wire on the neg. side which also has a ground wire running to the fire wall and a red wire on the positive side. Both the red and orange run to a plug that connect to the distributor. Is that correct?

This form has been a huge help. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem fix. The black wire to the door relay was not hooked up. I also found a hot black wire (16) in the engine compartment the goes no where. It feeds from the top right of the bulkhead fuse box. It is routed with a white wire. Where does this go?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts