Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1970 gauge cluster that has been restored. The tach was not connected, does the wire from the back of cluster go to the - negative side of coil? There is also a 12 volt connection, should this be connected directly to the battery? or the fuse box? Does it matter where it gets connected? Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't understand? The tach gets power and dist signal through the wiring harness. +12 from pin 7 and tach signal from pin 9 on the gauge cluster connector. The circuit (flex circuit or board as some call it) connects these pins to the terminals on the tach. Is the flex circuit broke or do you have an idiot light wiring harness and a tach dash?
The tach lead (pin 9 dark brown wire) is a loose wire that runs through the firewall directly to the coil. If this is missing you could run your own wire to the coil "-".

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,the circuit board was burn't in a few places. Behind the circuit board, there was two wires connected to pins marked coil and 12volt.These wires were not connected to anything. I'm assuming i have a gauge harness, it was connected to the back of cluster with a 12 pin connector that makes comtact with circuit board. How can you tell if it's not? I'm trying to figure out these two wires?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts