Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember exactly how my gauge cluster goes together on my '71 SS, so I'm not sure if this is possible or not. Right now it has a dummy clock to the left of the speedo. I think it'd be cool to put an 'original style' tach in that space. Is it possible to just alter that part of the gauges, or do I have to get a new cluster for that?

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Taylor,

If your cluster has "idiot" lights which I assume it does from your description, then it probably is possible to add a tach in the original clock position. You will of course have to remove the cluster from the dash, carefully take off the printed circuit, bulbs, ect, then replace the clock delete plate and install the tach. On the back of the tach you will see two connections, one labled 12v and the other is the tach signal. you will have to run the 12v to a switched 12v source on the fuse panel or splice it into the harness. The tach signal would go to the negative side of your coil or the tach connector if you have HEI. I'm sure someone will chime in if anything needs to be added or corrected.

Mike

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Err...right of the speedo, yes, that's what I meant :cool: . Anyone know who may make a repro tach for this? I don't see one at Ground Up, and I know it will be extremely hard to find a lone tach for this, and not just a complete gauge cluster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts