Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've done alot of gas welding (oxy-acetylene welding) for making small wrought iron projects in high school. I only had to little tack welds though. I was wondering how I should do a full length bead. Do I get both pieces of metal molten and stick my filler rod in and out of the molten pool or do I have to do it another way? I'm just wondering how I should do it, since I'll be having a test on doing a full length bead and seeing how strong it is when my teacher goes to bend it.

Thanks,
Ethan

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Start your bead like a spot/stich weld, get your puddle moving between parts and move forward. Small circular forward motions between the two pieces moving the puddle. Add filler rod every 1/8 or so keeping it in the puddle when needed. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It's also very important that you use a neutral flame; too much oxygen will make the torch "pop" and too much acetylene will make the weld weak. When you add filler, try not to dip it in the puddle because it will cool the weld, the rod should melt as you add it, not after you add it. Gas welding is tricky and takes a lot of practice.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.