Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always seem to run into the weirdest things.
The color of the fuel in the new and clear fuel filter is yellow. but is seeping slime green out of the carburetor gasket between the top and center sections. Of course it should not be leaking. I think I'm dealing with some warpage between the top and center pieces of the carburetor. this is a known issue with the Rochester BV. I will eventually overcome this, but I'm just curious about the fuel turning green.
here is some details:
ethanol free gas 89 octane
Sta-Bil fuel additive (red in color)
new tank (NPD)
new stainless tank to carburetor line
clean see thru filter
new fuel pump
new pump to carb line
freshly rebuilt original Rochester BV. seeping gas before rebuild. seeping gas after rebuild. second trip to re-builder he is attempting double gaskets, and mentions to me, I should not be using old fuel. I report to him it is not old. He has no answer. If the fuel is arriving to the see thru fuel filter before the pump, as a yellow color why would it become green in the carb? My best guess is a corrosion coating inside the new tank reacting with the fuel in some way in spite of the yellow color showing in the fuel filter perhaps.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I forgot, I use a fuel cell to fuel my ATV and put the sta bil in the cell first. I don't have a fuel leak on the ATV to know, but I'm not having any issues with the ATV either. I was using this same sta bil/ non-ethanol gas recipe on the Honda for a while before trying it on the Chevelle's first 1/2 tank which I'm still on.

Thank you for your comments on this problem.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Interesting. When I have found green it is usually from a copper or a copper alloy part. Certainly should not be from the stainless lines.

·
Banned
4,739 Posts
Any chance you are using gasoline mixed with alcohol?
If you are there is the culprit.
The OP stated "ethanol free gas 89 octane" in his first post

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
So is the fuel in the carb itself green or just the fuel that is seeping out? If it is just the fuel that is seeping out it could be washing off the pair aluminum on the mating surfaces and oxydizing. Have you taken the carb off and poured the fuel out of it to see what it looked like? Is the inside of the carb turning green? Double gasket is also not the best fix. You may need to have the surfaces fixed up.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for the replies. I specifically purchased non- ethanol fuel for the shelf life, to boot, I put a fuel storage additive in the fuel cell before filling it, then poured it into the Chevelle tank. Obviously I'm progressing toward driving the car but for now, just up n down the driveway working out the bugs.

So I decided to just look in the tank. The fuel is a bluish green. Feeling dumb guys, but it is a yellow color in the fuel filter without a hint of blue or green.

I've got no evidence yet that the color means the fuel is bad. The fuel is about 6 months old. Also checked the 4 wheeler which is on the same diet as mentioned above, it's the same color.

If anyone had ask me I'd say green equals trouble. what are the odds after going to lengths to avoid bad gas?

Thanks again folks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
When you mix the colors blue and yellow it makes green. Don't know if that helps but from a paint standpoint that's how I get green.
Is the plastic in the fuel filter yellow?
Maybe when the bluyish green fuel from the cell goes thru it, it picks up some of the plastic yellow and it turns green?
Not being a wise azz, but are you color blind?

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Running the Chevelle at intervals that allow an air bubble in the see thru filter, the plastic is clear. I'm blinder than I used to be lol, but not color blind. If this color means trouble and causes problems I will return to this thread and let folks know not to use this combo.

Thanks again folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts