Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I told my girlfriend that I bought an old muscle car to restore, she was really excited for me, but also a bit worried. After I had told her that those old cars have the gas tank in the rear (right before the bumper), she remembered that she had seen a show that talked about how unsafe they are (they tend to explode fairly easily when involved in a rear-end collision).

Now, I don't want to make my Chevelle completely factory restored. What I want in a car, is a fairly safe and reliable driving vehicle, that looks (and sounds and acts..) like a true muscle car. In this respect, I kind of agree with her, and would rather see the gas tank have a bit more protection (sort of similiar to why I want to get rid of the drum brakes and put in discs). However, I also realize that you have to work with what you're given, and compared to a brake swap, it might be impossible to do something like that to this syle of frame.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever replaced the tank with a more modern equivalent? How much work would it be to do that (i.e. major frame modifications?)? Is it even worth it, or are they fairly safe as they are?

Thanks for any info...

- Matt
1969 Chevelle

·
Registered
501 Posts
I got the bejeesus rearended out of my chevelle, and the tank fared just fine. No leaks or anything. Your GF is probbally thinking of the pinto, or something like that. I feel very safe in my car. Not only because it is a good car, but because of my driving style.

------------------
350 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
My 69 Chevelle

·
Registered
290 Posts
Just about every car has the gas tank there, so I am uncertain as to the logical cause for alarm.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Matt,

Don't sweat it. Several of us daily drive our Chevelles, and believe me, I wouldn't if I thought this was an issue.

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The easiest way for you to fix this if this is a concern of yours is to mount a fuel cell in the trunk. Those suckers can survive anything... well anything under 200mph...

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
"Goes real slow with the hammer down!"

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If she's worried aobut the location of the fuel tank, she needs to give up riding in cars, because it's like big dog said, almost every vehicle on the road has the fuel tank mounted there.
And ask her not to confuse Ford Pintos with musclecars.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think I know what she is thinking about. There was something on 20/20 a while ago about how early mustangs had gas tanks in the trunk, actually in there with no sheet metal dividing it from the passenger compartment because the seat was the only barrier, and it was only made of foam and fabric. If it got rear-ended the gas tank flyes up, and spreads gas vapors all through the cabin, if one spark happens... Kapolee!

------------------
Justin Kramer
[email protected]
1968 Chevelle 300 Deluxe Sport Coupe 350ci
1978 Malibu Classic 305ci
"Goes real slow with the hammer down!"

·
Registered
874 Posts
Have you ever seen the front of a newer car that rearended a Chevelle? I was nailed hard at a stoplight by a Chevette. My liscense plate had a dent in it and the guys Chevette was totalled in the front.I feel safer in the older ones!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Ford had big problem with being sued over their Pinto economy car of the 70's? catching fire from a rear-end collision and ruptured fuel tank. Saw a TV show sometime in the last year or so that featured the mid-60's Mustangs doing the same thing. I won't ride in one again after seeing that. Any fuel tank will rupture if you hit it right, then all that is needed is an ignition source. Seems to me that the Chevelles are designed pretty good in this respect. How much safety do you want/can you afford?

My $0.02

·
Premium Member
693 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moloko:
, if one spark happens... Kapolee!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is swaheelee for Urban Barbecue.

shucks, can't get the flame thrower to work.

[This message has been edited by 69454Malibu (edited 07-17-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll take my chances in a full framed Chevelle anyday over these little new cars. Besides when I'm driving my Chevelle I spend almost as much time looking behind me as I do ahead. (very defensively) and look both ways going through a GREEN light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Matt73,

I agree with what all these guys have said above. However, if your girlfriend is still scared about your car (and if she has ~$1200, a sawzall, and decent fabrication skills), then she can install a fuel cell like mine:
www.chevelles.com/showroom/daveandrewspic14.jpg

The fuel cell (32 gallon Enduro) is made by Fuel Safe and has a steel outer enclosure with a urethane safety bladder. Inside it's filled with fire suppression foam. The access plate has a roll-over check valve. The cell (34" by 18" by 14.5") is held in place by an aluminum tub that extends to depth of where the old fuel tank was. The tub is made out of 1/8" thick aluminum and is reinforced with another 1/8" along all the edges. Two steel straps (not shown) provide additional support underneatch the tub, while another two steel straps hold it down from the top.
It was expensive, excessive, takes up trunk space, and adds some weight to the car. However, it's a modern baffled design that won't let the fuel pump suck air during hard left and right hand turns. And it will be unique when filling it at the gas station.

Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Matt

If your GF is that worried then you need to BUY a Volvo station wagon, or have someone weld a skid plate to your tank(hehehe)

Don't sweat it, all will be fine or if you are still worried I'll give you a $100 for that fire trap.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ask you Gf if she expects to live forever Geeze you got to take a chance,that's what life is all about one thing after the other.Or wrap yourself in cotton and try to live forever.Ain't no body made it yet...FRED

------------------

G

·
Assuming your girlfriend drives a car, Matt, where does she think the gas tank in here vehicle is? Nearly every car has the gas tank in the rear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.