Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently restifying my '65 El Camino from sitting in the garage for 5 years. What precautions should I take with the old gas/sediment-etc? Is there a pour-in restorer or should I yank the tank? Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
This post references my motorcycle experience, but it is Chevelle related. Please bear with me.

I've redone a few motorcycle fuel tanks in my day due to rusty innards. The big product on the market is called Kream. I conisists of a acid etching bath and a rubber-like coating. I don't like it because it is not a permanent fix. Rust can come back. The rubber-ish coating can also peel up and or disintergrate with time (3-5 years). Then you have rusty gunk being sent through you fuel lines.

For most people this isn't a problem because few hold onto bikes for that long. If I'm going through all the trouble, I would rather use something that kills rust permanently and lasts indefinitely.

I have tried and am extremely pleased with the POR-15 fuel tank system. It doesn't use nasty acid (I had a bike tank that developed pin-holes due to the acid bath of the Kream system) and like POR-15 it is supposed to be a permanent fix. You do have to take some extra steps to ensure that there isn't any water left after you clean the tank, but if you follow the directions you should be fine.

The bike that I used the POR-15 system on had sat with half a tank of fuel for 2 years. The fuel smelt like turpentine and the top half of the tank was nasty rusty. In the end the tank came out beautifully!

Looking at the Eastwood system it appears to be similar to the Kream system which I dislike. I have used the POR-15 system on one of my bikes and feel very good about it. I am planning to use the POR-15 system on my 70SS when I get to doing the full resto.

Goto: http://www.por15.com/ and look for the fuel tank kit

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 06-01-99).]

·
Registered
258 Posts
Restore if you can, but remember, a new tank is only about $175. Don't spend more time/money than that.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone! I'll be yanking it out this weekend. And Bill-the 327 is almost ready!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It's hard to argue with the price of a new tank. For minimal hassle and about $150 you can put a brand new tank in the car. Forget about serious cleaning and protecting. Only drawback is that you will probably have to use the old filler neck. Put a coat of clear on it and it will look good and last a long time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just installed a new gas tank (filler neck installed}, straps and sending unit in my Chevelle for $217.00. I called around and it would cost $150.00 - $175.00 to have the tank renewed. It was quite easy to install.

Terry

[This message has been edited by Terry (edited 06-03-99).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.