Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after typing all this I went to the search topics and found my answer on a post dated 08-01-01. Can't delete the post so if anyone has additional info I would welcome it but I think I need to add 6 inches of rubber hose to my vents and plug them up.

Now the original post:

Filled up my 70 SS 454 the other night and the car was on an incline, front end down. Finished topping off the tank and gas station attendant said "you have a problem". Looked under the car and gas was draining off the tank from the front big time onto the pavement. Rolled the car away from puddle, paid him and drove it home hoping the rear end wouldn't blow off the car. Got home and no leak on level ground.

Today, got under the car, checked fuel line and not sign of a problem. Began to look for other things and realized this car does not have a vent line from fuel pump to tank. It is not the correct fuel pump because there is no place for a vent line to hook up.

At the top almost center of the tank, which is a new tank after a frame off restoration 12-13 years ago, the fuel line, which is rubber at that point after transitioning from the SS line disapears between the tank and trunk bottom. I assume it connnects on to the pick up point in the center of the tank. At the top center of the tank edge facing the front of the car there is what appears to be a metal tube that has a cap on it. Now finally the questions.

On the drivers side of the tank at the top facing front is another tube about an inch long sticking out. It is maybe 5/16" diameter and has a flare in it which I would assume is for a rubber tube to connect. Would you believe this tube is open and uncapped and I can see where the gas ran out of it, ran along the tank seam and drained on the ground and my tail pipes. Needless to say I am a very lucky guy and all the owners before me are too unless someone can tell me if that tube is supposed to stick out open to the world. I am now assuming it is the vent connection from the fuel pump that is not there or it is for some other type vent connection.

Can someone clarify for me what I have here. Do I have the wrong fuel tank or just the wrong fuel pump with no vent return. Can I add a short piece of rubber tube to the open tube, put a bolt in the end of the rubber tube to close it off and will the car run OK or am I causing a problem because there is no way for the tank to receive air to displace the gas as it is used up? I could always leave the gas cap off and that is inviting disaster. I have never heard of a gas tank having an overflow especially when some tanks operate under pressure. Does a Chevelle tank operate under pressure?

Anyway you can see I am full of questions and leery of driving the car with this potential leak situation. I don't always want to drive around with half a tank and hope fuel doesn't leak out. Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for the length of this post

------------------
1970 SS 454 Hardtop
1969 Lemans Blue Corvette
1993 SS 454 Red Pickup
TC Gold #155

[This message has been edited by Chuck Nixon (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It appears that you have the tank with the Evaporative recovery ports on it. I wound up with one from a boneyard a couple of years ago when I replaced mine. The tank I found had two extra ports; the one you speak of, plus one on the opposite corner. What I eventually did was use a piece of 3/8" fuel line about 2" long on each one. Then, on the open end, I stuck a piece of 3/8" brake line about an inch and a half long on which I had folded the end over and soldered. A couple of clamps and the leaks were stopped. Otherwise, everytime you park on a hill or corner real hard, the gas will come flowing out. Cheap fix and it's been that way for a couple of years now. Oh, don't even think about using those rubber vaccuum nipples to slip over the ports. The gasoline will eat them in real short order! Ask me how I know!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I found complete diagrams in the 1970 Assembly Manual, page 459 and it shows the double vents for the evaporative system. Perhaps you cannot buy a tank without them.
I took 2-6" pieces of new 5/16 rubber fuel line, screwed a short 3/8 bolt in one end of each and put clamps over the bolt. Then put a clamp on the other end of each hose just snug on the hose and pushed it over the vent tubes. They are both pretty tight and there is no way to tighten the clamp with a screw driver at the tube because there is no room. I could use one of the crimp type clamps and probably make it work with pliers.

I thought about running a longer piece of 5/16 hose from one vent tube to the other but decided on two short pieces. If this doesn't stop the leaks I will find a way to clamp the hose onto the vent tube.

Thanks for your input.

------------------
1970 SS 454 Hardtop
1969 Lemans Blue Corvette
1993 SS 454 Red Pickup
TC Gold #155

[This message has been edited by Chuck Nixon (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
964 Posts
You can buy a Gas tank with or without these vents.They are both on the market today.
I helped a friend do this exact same thing on his Chevelle Chuck.
I was able to get a Neoprene rubber cap on all 3 of the vent openings,then put a small hose clamp on each and tighten it down with a very small screwdriver while on the car.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not to throw a monrkey wrench into this guys, but i think it will make a difference if you have a non vented or vented gas cap on you car. if the cap is non vented and you plug what is suppose to be a vent, i would think it would eventually cause a problem down the line.if the car originally came with the polution system and the charcoal cannister, it think they were none vented gas caps and one of those lines ran to the cannister and the other was a vent for the gas tank.

------------------
BILL TIRELLI MEMBER#280
1969 BLK CHEVELLE SS396
375HP 4SP 410 POSI
1971 BLK CHEVELLE SS402
STATEN ISLAND NY
=http://hometown.aol.com/wtirelli/myhomepage/index.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.