Chevelles.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, anybody use anything for the anti-squeek strips for mounting the gas tank besides the factory stock ones?

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Are you talking about the pieces that go on top of the tank? Or on the tank straps? On top of the tank I used some pieces of black foam. I bought it at fabric/craft store. It was more of a rubber foam, and it came in a legal paper size. 8x11 I contact cemented two sheets together and cut the pieces out that I needed. For the straps, I bought some nice quality rubber in a sheet, from a on-line supply house. Again , I cut the size strips I needed. Now I wasn't going for exact stock look, but the repop stuff I bought first, was junk.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both are good ideas. I just couldn't see paying $30-$40 for something I thought could be replaced with a common material.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Bought some gas tank stripping from Ebay seller GMPARTSKING. It has a stickey coating on one side. Cost was about $17 including the shipping. I only put it between the tank and the trunk floor braces. Worked excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I bought some off ebay too. Supposed to be GM, had a box pictured in the auction. What I received looked like it would do nothing. Very thin, and no anti squeak properties to it at all. Had a sticky back to it also. The rubber with some contact cement to hold it in place is the way to go. Cut nice strips, and you won't see it. I found an online supplier, like a Graingers, but in NJ. Can't remember the name, but I could find it if needed. Has everything you can think of. From hardware to all kinds of materials like rubber and foam, even metals. Great easy to use website too.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Is the rubber really needed on the straps? I replace my tank and straps and didn't use any. The car is still a project so I cant say anything about potential noises driving.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Is the rubber really needed on the straps? I replace my tank and straps and didn't use any. The car is still a project so I cant say anything about potential noises driving.
Some use it on the straps also. I don't and have no squeaks. I just put it on the tank where it will contact the trunk floor supports. I don't think I've ever removed a old tank that had it on the straps to start with.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I went the route of the roofing paper as others have suggested. Used on both the top side of the tank on the original contact points as well as on the bottom side under the straps. Used the heavier paper, and where necessary on the top side glued multiple layers together to get the desired thickness. Used 3M spray adhesive to glue the layers together as well to the tank.

Looks good and don't have any squeaks...

jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts