Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy barrels of gas? Is it cheaper? Would it be more economical?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have seen gas tanks on stands from various
gas companies for people with small truck fleets and on farms. Mostly diesel. I don't see why you couldn't get one yourself and have it filled with 93 or whatever.
I was going to get a clean 55 gal drum and fill it myself with 93. Thing is, that will only last about 3 weeks. BIG BLOCK BABY

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Nice thought but I'd bet you'd have to go through a lot a red tape to be able buy gas in barrels. I'm not even sure its available like that. You would probably have to fill out form after form after form. Then the EPA would have to make sure you have proper storage facilities, proper transporting vehicles, blah blah blah....you get my drift.

After it was all over it would probably be cheaper at the gas pump.

------------------
-Mark TC# 717
ACES #1641
1967 Chevelle SS396/375
1967 RailVelle
1964 Chevelle 283/195
1975 Corvette 396/375

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
In most states, if you have an agricultural status, you can buy gas & diesel for about 1/2 price. You have to have a bulk tank and it comes dyed in some places. Supposedly if you get caught using it in general purpose transportation vehicles, you can be fined. To achieve agricultural status you ususally have to live in a rural area and grow something. Different from state to state.

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1233564&a=9105086&p=37274567&f=0

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I have seen gas tanks on stands from various
gas companies for people with small truck fleets and on farms. Mostly diesel. I don't see why you couldn't get one yourself and have it filled with 93 or whatever.
I was going to get a clean 55 gal drum and fill it myself with 93. Thing is, that will only last about 3 weeks. BIG BLOCK BABY

·
Registered
430 Posts
We use to have a 350 gallon tank but had trouble with theives. With the price going up though we're thinking of trying it again. Just make sure its locked real well. Here u put in a tank and they deliver the fuel to you. But we do have a farm and a business, dont know what the rules are for the average guy.And as far as i know only the diesel is dyed. Many people still use the ag diesel, dont know how they would get caught unless theyre in a wreck or something.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I farm for a living and can tell you that our fuel that we get in bulk is no way bought at 1/2 the cost of at the pump. The diesel is died a different color because there is no road tax charged because it is for off road use only. I have checked the prices at the pumps where we get our fuel and the gasoline is sometimes .03 to .06 cheaper AT THE PUMPS. Not always but most of the time.

·
Registered
994 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevymad:
Many people still use the ag diesel, dont know how they would get caught unless theyre in a wreck or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The big crime is at the truck stops. That is why most of them, if not all, have a "sight glass" on the fuel nozzle. There was a big sting operation that caught a few of these guys buying this discounted "agricultural" fuel, then price it low enough to encourage truckers. Bottom line, Profit!!! The truckers do not care because it was still cheaper than Brand 'X', but they too are liable for fines if caught!
The DOT can stop truckers and give them the 'ole safety check, including check their fuel.

------------------
Dale
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430HP / 4L60
"Canyon Carver"

www.chevelles.com/showroom/elkydriveway1.jpeg

[This message has been edited by Cardiac (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wow i've been quoted!
Theres not a lot of big truck traffic here cept for log trucks. I see most of the ag fuel being burnt in diesel pickups. The only real savings advantage i see is in locking in current prices. Your taking a gamble that the price will go up not down. Another thing to consider, most of you wouldnt let the gasoline sit in your chevelle for six months. Whats the difference if its there or in a large tank? I've heard the life expectancy of modern gas is only around 1/2 a year, so i wouldnt want to buy more than i could use in a short time.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.