Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! My gas gauge has taken a dump on me! Alright here's my problem... There's no 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 tank! haha The needle's always pegged on F or pegged on E! I have been told it is the ground, but when I look at the ground on the sending unit on the tank, it's seems like it's mounted ok, not loose. I dont even know where the ground for the gauge is? I really need help, I'm in desperate need.. I can't take not having a gas gauge anymore! It's like once it gets so low it goes to E, and i put in like 3 gallons and it goes to F, and then if I punch it, it'll go down to E then bounce around until it settles back on F. Then I'll waste like a gallon or 2 and it will settle on E again. I can't take it... any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Joe Phillips

·
Administrator
16,161 Posts
the gauge registers fuel level by using a variable resistance to ground. This is achieved by a frame ground on one side of the tanks sending unit passing thru a rheostat that the float is hooked to and sending that signal to the gauge. The gauge has a 12v supply and uses the signal from the sender as the ground varying the position of the needle according to the the ohms it sees.
So from your description of what is going on I think you either have a bad sending unit in the tank or the wire to the gauge is intermittently going to ground (E) and then open (F). trace the wire from the tank to the gauge and make sure it has no bare spots or breaks in it before removing the tank.

Philip

·
Registered
169 Posts
yup, you hit it right on the head with your explination!!!! I am going to wyotech and that is exactly what we learned. check the resistance in the sender and that is more than likely the problem!!!, you will probably have to replace the unit!!!!!\

good luck

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Might also try adding a jumper wire from the meter body to a known good ground and see how it behaves. The 66 doesn't have a ground wire on the gage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast responses! I will trave the wire tomorrow morning. If there are no bare spots I will go about dropping the tank and replacing the sending unit.

Thanks!
Joe Phillips

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Before you drop the tank, get a resistor about 45 ohms, 5 watts. Disconnect the sender lead from the tank. Put the resistor between the disconnected lead and ground. The gage should read 1/2 tank as you bounce around the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts