Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems with my fuel gauge on my 68 SS. I tried some tests to determine if it is the sending unit or the gauge. I checked the ground going from the tank to the tank frame and it looks okay. I then found the brown wire going from the sending unit into the trunk and it was spliced (by previous owner) and pulled them apart. The gauge reads past full when the wires are pulled apart and reads about 3/4 when put back together. I then took them apart and ran the gauge side to ground and it will not drop back less than 3/4. Did I do the test correctly? I know the tank does not have 3/4 full of gas. I feel like the gauge is okay because when disconnected, it bounces past full. But I thought their was a way to get the gauge to fall to empty. By the way, I do not have a ohm meter. Help!!!!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I then took them apart and ran the gauge side to ground and it will not drop back less than 3/4. Did I do the test correctly?"

Yes you did. Grounding the meter tan wire should drive the gage to empty. By doing this the tank sender is not part of the circuit. You are only checking the gage.

"I know the tank does not have 3/4 full of gas. I feel like the gauge is okay because when disconnected, it bounces past full."

Well, the gage isn't dead because it's moving. That doesn't really mean it is good. Without a meter it's a little bit harder to come up with a suggestion. The gage needs 3 things: 12 volts, ground, and the sender input. Believe the 69 gage has a three wire plug on it, not the older style 2 wire plug. If you assume that you have 12 volts (can't check it), maybe try this. Take the gage ground wire and the gage sender wire. Tie both of them together and jumper them to the battery negative post. If the gage doesn't go empty, assuming you have 12 volts, time to get the gage looked at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts