Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gas gauge is pegged at the full mark, even though the tank is close to empty.
I recently removed the gas tank to seal the inside. I cleaned it and painted the gas tank and reinstalled it. The gas gauge pegged at full so I removed the sending unit again and inspected it. Everything looked ok, so I put it all back together and the gas gauge then read normal until I started the car for the second time. It's now pegged at full again.

What have I done wrong? The sending unit is grounded and it looks good. The main wire is new. I previously replaced the wiring harness.

Thanks for the help
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
what kind of car do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
john muha just walked me through a problem on my gas gage (72 el camino), if you read thru that posting you might get some ideas. when john assists you with a problem you dont just get help, you get an education in the process.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I had that problem with my '65 Chevelle once. The gauge was not grounded properly. The problem with my car had nothing to do with the sender.

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Don't know if you fixed your problem yet but that exact problem happen to me. I was working in my trunk and trying to secure the wires, I didn't know that I broke loose a wire pin in a socket. So than the guage was pegged to past full. I had to trouble shoot the whole system per Wes Vann's instructions in team Chevelle. Doing that brought me to that connector with the pulled out pin that was not noticeable. Used a fluke multitester to do my testing. It worked for me. So I know that if you have a broken or disconnected wire from tank to the guage is one reason to cause that guage to peg full. For Wess Vann's instructions go to Team Chevelle Home page scroll down looking for second paragraph on right said that says Wess Vann's "tech Reference" Click on that than scroll down to Miscellaneous to #4 Fuel Guage Problems. Hopefully you've already found your problem, but here the info is anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts