Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non vented gas cap and it builds up pressure,but I also have a line running up to
the engine comp,but there is still pressure building up,should I get a vented cap. al

------------------
Vendo396

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
does your car have a working evap canister system? If it is supposed to, I would get that working and use the correct gas cap. If the car came from with the factory with a vented cap, get the vented cap.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has no canister,had no gas cap with car....there is 2nd line for canister,line is open and hooked to tank,why is there pressure
building up.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drptop70ss:
does your car have a working evap canister system? If it is supposed to, I would get that working and use the correct gas cap. If the car came from with the factory with a vented cap, get the vented cap.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don;t know what year your car is but some had non-vented ( earlier ones like my '67 I think) and some had vented caps. My gas tank also had a second line that is the vent. Prior owner had a huge piece of rubber tube sort of on it, which is why I smelled gas in the cabin all the time.

First, if you have a relatively low filler tube, using a vented gas cap may cause fuel to spill out on acceleration. Stick with your non vented cap. Run a length ( 4.5') of 3/8 fuel line off the vent fitting of the tank ( mine was on the front of tank near outlet) back around to the rear and strap it to the filler tube. I also put a wire cover on the end of the tube ( just a piece of screen wired down ) to keep critters and debis out. This may be your problem, a clogged line.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will have to blow back through the line and
see if it is blocked.My car is a 70 www.ultranet.com/~vendo.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gene Chas:
I don;t know what year your car is but some had non-vented ( earlier ones like my '67 I think) and some had vented caps. My gas tank also had a second line that is the vent. Prior owner had a huge piece of rubber tube sort of on it, which is why I smelled gas in the cabin all the time.

First, if you have a relatively low filler tube, using a vented gas cap may cause fuel to spill out on acceleration. Stick with your non vented cap. Run a length ( 4.5') of 3/8 fuel line off the vent fitting of the tank ( mine was on the front of tank near outlet) back around to the rear and strap it to the filler tube. I also put a wire cover on the end of the tube ( just a piece of screen wired down ) to keep critters and debis out. This may be your problem, a clogged line.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.