Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or can you not find/buy a gas can that doesn't effing leak around the spout!! I now have 5 (plastic) and not one can you tip and pour with out gas dripping/running down you hands! They all have a spout that pulls out of the can, not like the old metal cans. Can you still buy an old school metal gas can???????? Last year I tossed out the only metal can I had (big dent in side) I'm kicking myself now.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Yeah, I have a plastic can that that hasn't spilled a drop, and I've used it dozens of times. It has two handles built in to it. One on the top and one on the side. The spout has a tube in it that is supposed to let air in while you pour. (that part doesn't work so well) but the spout is a hard plastic that is always in the "out" position. To seal it, it has a small cap that snaps over the end of the spout. I think I got it at Wal-Mart. I have a red one for fuel and a yellow one that I put K-1 in. (they didn't have a blue one when I needed one)

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Now that you can't buy a new gas can without a separate vent, the used and beat up cans everyone tries to pawn off at swap meets are starting to look like a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Ha HA HA ...... you can't even buy a normal gas can in CA !!!

it has to be one of those special safety cans !! its Illegal to sell the old style ones
(unless you rename them as water cans !)

can you smell that smell ???? the smell of B.S. is surrounding us !!!

·
Registered
15,815 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why "ventless" cans are safer... they spill more, pour slower (which means they get HEAVY if you're pouring them into anything that's not below waist level) and the way gas runs out is totally unpredictable sloww, then sucks air, then fast, then slow, etc...

I liked the old vented ones you could close the vent to slow when you're getting full. I never spilled with those.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I heard of someone who drilled a hole into one of those damned "ventless" gas cans, then pulled a tire valve stem through the hole--removed the schraeder valve--and screwed the cap on.

Instant vent.

I'd drop the valve stem in a cup of gasoline for a week, though, to verify the rubber won't swell and distort.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why "ventless" cans are safer...
They're made to be more enviromentally friendly than the old cans, not safer. They are ventless for the same reason automobile gas tanks have been sealed for so many years, to prevent the escape of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere and save the planet. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as planned, 'cause all the gas that's being spilled from these POS's negates any gains.:sad:
Buy a water can and write GAS on it.
BillL

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
of course I would NEVER recommend this to anyone :rolleyes:

but on those old 5 gallon army cans on the side away from the spout there is a real nice flat spot that I've seen "some people" take a self tapping philips screw & good smack to get started & then thread it in :D

when you want it vented remove screw...... at all other times it is nicely sealed :thumbsup:
of course there are probbly 10 or 20 Federal laws being broken .. by this modification !!
(say what are you in for ??? Oh I got 20 to life for screwing gas cans l:) )

·
Registered
630 Posts
I heard of someone who drilled a hole into one of those damned "ventless" gas cans, then pulled a tire valve stem through the hole--removed the schraeder valve--and screwed the cap on.

Instant vent.

I'd drop the valve stem in a cup of gasoline for a week, though, to verify the rubber won't swell and distort.

Thats a good idea!

I hate the new style cans. Seems like the engineering was a tad bit underdeveloped before they forced these dang things on the public.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I hate the new style cans. Seems like the engineering was a tad bit underdeveloped before they forced these dang things on the public.
Gee, sort of like the spit-for-brains regulations where we scrap all the portable propane kegs--or retrofit them with "safety valves" because the propane-refillers won't pay high enough wages to hire employees who can READ A SCALE so they know how much propane they just put in the keg.

So it's actually a business/industry problem where the "fix" is to TOTALLY SCREW the consumer.

Typical.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I'm trying to figure out why "ventless" cans are safer... they spill more, pour slower (which means they get HEAVY if you're pouring them into anything that's not below waist level) and the way gas runs out is totally unpredictable sloww, then sucks air, then fast, then slow, etc...

I liked the old vented ones you could close the vent to slow when you're getting full. I never spilled with those.
Ditto. The new one's sold in CA are a joke.

They're made to be more enviromentally friendly than the old cans, not safer. They are ventless for the same reason automobile gas tanks have been sealed for so many years, to prevent the escape of hydrocarbons into the atmosphere and save the planet. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as planned, 'cause all the gas that's being spilled from these POS's negates any gains.:sad:
Buy a water can and write GAS on it.
BillL
Yeah, pretty funny that they're "environmentally friendly" when all they do is spill fuel all over the place. Whoever designed them and those who approved them, should be fired. There's not even a safe way to fill your gas tank without spilling fuel everywhere. Stupid. Or maybe I'm just too stupid to figure out what the trick is ;)

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
No Alan, then there's a bunch of 'stupid' people along with you.

Anyone have a good link on where to buy the 'water' cans?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I end up spilling more gas on my hands than would ever vent out with an older style can. The one I have has a "pull back" type of, dunno, pump shotgun type of thing on it to allow you to pour. Except it is a pain to use, and not ergonomic at all, so I am fighting with the gas can to get gas in my lawnmower, not on my hands..

BTW-
Does anyone know if Hoppe's #9 will eventually evaporate..? I cleaned something in it mixed with some gas (in a sealed container), the gas evaporated quick, but the Hoppe's is just sitting there.. I would figure it would evaporate quick like any VOC but..?

Still ended up having to buy a new trigger spring/mainspring.

matt

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
No Alan, then there's a bunch of 'stupid' people along with you.

Anyone have a good link on where to buy the 'water' cans?
Bass Pro Shop carries a nice 5 gallon water tank. It is blue and probably against the law to use it for gas but...who's going to get you the portable gas can monitoring police?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
It is blue and probably against the law to use it for gas but...who's going to get you the portable gas can monitoring police?
Shhhhhhhhhh they'll open a new dept !!!! OMG its too late :eek:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
...who's going to get you the portable gas can monitoring police?

In NJ? Yep. :D

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
I've seen the big metal cans for sale around here new, but the only plastic ones I can find have the worthless vented tube. Luckily I still have one of the "antique" cans with the flexible hose on the end, that thing works like a charm.

They go after things like this and change the gas cans, yet most of the gas stations I see don't have those flexible hoses over the gas pump nozzle, I think they need to better choose their battles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts