Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen these kits from NPD or Ausley? I don't quite understand the description. If I have an idiot light (Malibu) dash, can I convert it to an SS type gage dash with this kit? Is there any kit that will do that?

(BTW, I haven't pulled my dash cluster yet so the answer may be obvious but I just haven't researched it.)

/herb :confused:

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
The kits that I'm aware of convert from an SS (oval gauge package instead of "sweep" package) idiot light cluster to an SS gauge cluster. All it does is replace the idiot lights with gauges. To the best of my knowledge, there is no kit to go from the sweep style to SS gauge style - you must buy the SS dash first.

·
Registered
458 Posts
There's a kit some guy sellds on ebay that includes the entire dash. It's around $1500 though.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
It depends on what year car your talking about, if your talking about a 66, they make a very nice gauge package that just almost can't be told from the originals. it's not an SS dash because there really wasn't any difference. an SS could have a dash with gauges, or with nothing but a fuel gauge. there was not anything that differed between a SS or Malibu. my 66 SS has no gauges in the dash except the fuel gauge. now the newer cars thats a horse of a different color.

Rocky

·
Registered
764 Posts
one bit of advice on the installation...it comes with plastic tubing for the oil pressure line. Roll that sucker out and let it straighten for a week or 2 before you install it. Its coiled up BIG time! I think you'll be pleased with the kit. Easier to do with the dash out.
Brian

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys!!!! Good info Rocky.

I'm looking forward to NOT hanging gages under the dash. I'll have the dash completly out of the car soon for the resto and paint work on the cab. We'll put this in BEFORE the dash goes back in.

Just out of curiousity, is this same kit Ausley's and others is selling?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I bought my kit from Shift Works it comes with a copper Oil pressure line. Kit fit well and looks great in the dash, now to finish the rest of the car!

·
Premium Member
17,564 Posts
I also bought a kit from Shiftworks... I think it was $205/$215. I spent the $215 which has a volt meter, rather than an Ammeter ($205), but the both are marked as "BATT" as the originals...

It looks very close to the originals (not exact, but very close). Even side-by-side with the originals, they were close. AND they are nice new and clean to boot...

Who is ever going to look that close at your gages?

Even so, I wouldn't hesitate to put it in my car unless I was going for concours original... Of course then money probably wouldn't be an issue...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts