Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 81 Caballero that has a very squeeky dash. It sounds like a cheap styrofoam cooler that is disintegrating. It drives me crazy. The sound is coming from the passenger side of the dash. I also have a grounding problem on the instrument panel. The gauges work accurately only part time. Sometimes a gentle smack on the side of the panel will get everything working again. What I need to know is how to get the dash out of the car, and if there are replacement dash parts available as the original has some damage (cracks and it is brittle) Thanks for any help.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
there's often a ground screw above the emergency brake mechanism, sometimes it's loose. you shouldn't have to pull the dash to get at it.

squeaking, I dunno. can you cram your head under and watch while you wiggle the dash?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I read something a few years ago about G bodies having this problem. Doesn't those models have a center hood bumper on the cowl for the rear of the hood? That was what the culprit was found out to be and it sounded like the squeeking came from the dashboard. Check it out b-4 you take you dash apart.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Yep,the center hood bumper is usually the squeak. I`ve fixed several G body with just a little silicone grease on that bumper. My `86 Monte has been quiet for about 3 years since then. I just noticed a little squeak again the other day,time for a little bit more grease I guess. Mark SC&C

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think it's OPGI that has dash caps that go over the top of the dash to hide the cracks. They are hard rather then carpet. I have a spare dash laying around its burgendy and says chevy on it. Its out of an '87. Its cracked though

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
I have an 81 Caballero that has a very squeeky dash. It sounds like a cheap styrofoam cooler that is disintegrating. It drives me crazy. The sound is coming from the passenger side of the dash. I also have a grounding problem on the instrument panel. The gauges work accurately only part time. Sometimes a gentle smack on the side of the panel will get everything working again. What I need to know is how to get the dash out of the car, and if there are replacement dash parts available as the original has some damage (cracks and it is brittle) Thanks for any help.
A DAB OF GREASE ON THE CENTER HOOD STOP..
OPEN HOOD AND UP AT THE COWL THERE IS A RUBBER STOP DEAD CENTER..
LOOKS LIKE AN UPSIDE DOWN FOOT FOR A DESK ETC.
GREASE THAT...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the hood off and I saw that support button-I'll lube it. I'm installing a new ZZ383. I have already renewed everything in the brakes and suspension front and rear and just wanted to cure that damn squeak by the time I fire the beast up. This is going to be a very nice truck. The ONLY time it has been wet is when it gets washed. Probably wont be able to hear no stinkin squeak anyway.

Eversharpe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts