Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current 'Collectible Automobile' (August! 99) features insight into the development and release of the '73 - '77 Chevelles. It shows a few prototypes with the small bumpers they wouldhave used, had they been introduced for '72 as originally planned.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Cam; Interesting note. I had a 77 Elky and I always hated that huge front bumper hanging way out there. These cars/trucks had fairly nice style, I thought, but needed some "cleaning up" seemed like. tom

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, they were refered to as chrome bandages back in those days. Given lead times for cars and the conflicting manadates of governments it made for a somewhat low period of the automobile. It also was a catalyst for making us appreciate what was made before that point. Car makers still turned out tough cars, but the new era of the lightweight CAFE-friendly drivetrains would follow. Not that fuel economy and low emissions are a bad thing; it's just that priorities were radically changed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen the article; the proposed drawings on one of the front end shots was inspired by a Dick Teague rendition that would show up on the later AMC Matador sedans.

They even showed a few artist's conception on the future hardtop bodystyle, and the Colonnade concept. The Colonnade concept was thought up earlier by the engineers that were involved in the second-generation Corvair, which never saw the light of day.

Unfortunately, the Colonnade design was the final product, since the DOT mandates were becoming the norm of the automotive industry.

The frontend shots of the 1972 Chevelle (the one that never came, due to the GM strike) were stylish, but unfortunately, the bumper laws were passed to mandate the battering-ram bumpers seen today.

This is a good sign that Disco-Era Classics are being covered in literature, but these "ostracised" Chevelles and A-cars should become viable projects in the future, when the traditional 1964-72s reach the glass ceiling.

The Colonnade coupe might have been listed as one of the ugliest bodystyles produced, but here's the list:

Top 5 Automotive Eyesores:

1) 1974-78 AMC Matador Coupe
2) AMC Pacer
3) 1973-77 GM A-Car Colonnade Coupe
4) Ford Pinto
5) 1980-85 Cadillac Seville

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have seen the article; the proposed drawings on one of the front end shots was inspired by a Dick Teague rendition that would show up on the later AMC Matador sedans.

They even showed a few artist's conception on the future hardtop bodystyle, and the Colonnade concept. The Colonnade concept was thought up earlier by the engineers that were involved in the second-generation Corvair, which never saw the light of day.

Unfortunately, the Colonnade design was the final product, since the DOT mandates were becoming the norm of the automotive industry.

The frontend shots of the 1972 Chevelle (the one that never came, due to the GM strike) were stylish, but unfortunately, the bumper laws were passed to mandate the battering-ram bumpers seen today.

This is a good sign that Disco-Era Classics are being covered in literature, but these "ostracised" Chevelles and A-cars should become viable projects in the future, when the traditional 1964-72s reach the glass ceiling.

The Colonnade coupe might have been listed as one of the ugliest bodystyles produced, but here's the list:

Top 5 Automotive Eyesores:

1) 1974-78 AMC Matador Coupe
2) AMC Pacer
3) 1973-77 GM A-Car Colonnade Coupe
4) Ford Pinto
5) 1980-85 Cadillac Seville

------------------
Weyoun X (the tenth clone)
descendant of a former Chevelle owner

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/lonestarclassics/acar.html

1969 Chevelle Memories Page
http://members.tripod.com/~seributra_d/time_and_memories.htm

Chevelles (and A-cars) On Screen
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/5196/a_car.html

Disco-Era Classics
http://homepages.go.com/~55498/hooptie.htm

·
Registered
336 Posts
Funny people who see my car in person tend to say good things, not proclaim it in the top 5 ugly cars of all time!! I have a 73 Malibu Colonnade coupe It seems that the most of the people who hate the 73-77 models have the older chevelles. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, Sure they were slow from the factory, but so were most of the 72's for that matter. The 78-82 models are popular but were all wrechedly slow from the factory, at least a 454 was still available in 73, sure it was a weezer, but a cam and head swap could cure that quickly.
I will be getting the article that Cam mentioned. Sounds cool. A few 73-77 A bodies have showed up in Car Craft recently as well.

Frank

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.