Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Chevelle SS 396 four speed, which I have owned since 1975. The car was in good shape until last night, when I attemtped to remove the dash pad which has a crack. I dropped the Steering column, then unscrewed the dash. Next I removed the Dash Pad, so far so good. Running out of time, I decided to reinstall the steering column so I could drive the car back into the garage. I was going to just push up the dash and bolt up the steering column. As I stated do so, I got some heavy arcing from the bolts to the steering column. (I didn't think about disconnecting the battery, not a good move on my part). The in-dash ampmeter jumped around and then buried in the negative direction. That's when I noticed the smoke pouring from the hood. It looks like I have burned up two Fusible-links. One at the front of the car (behind the headlights), near the front drivers side. The other near the firewall (drivers side). I would expect that these are there to protect the Amp meter. My questions are, where can I find replacement fusible-links. I know that I have damaged my Amp-meter, but what else may have I damaged. It appears that everything else is working ok. The car is still charging at 14.2 volts and drops to around 12.4 when I turn the car off.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SS4speed.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
To quote Elree Colby, who was a great help to me (among others):
"From the positive battery connection you need to have a #10 wire with 6” of #14 fusible link, this wire connects to the junction block. From the j-block you will have a #10 wire that connects to the horn
relay (the factory wiring has the #10 alternator output wire and the #10 with #20 fusible link voltage regulator terminal #3 wire spliced to this wire). If you don’t have the factory wiring for this you can connect the alternator output #10 wire to the horn relay and if you still use the external voltage regulator connect the #3 terminal, with a fusible link to the horn relay."

I know you can get the fusible links at almost any auto parts store, they are marked as such.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fusible links should be available at your local parts stores, I've bought them at O'reilly before. You'll just have to cut out the old one and patch in a new one. If you're worried about it looking original, contact Year One or others to replace the whole wire, they might have it. Sounds like you didn't damage anything else, and you might not have ruined the ammeter either, that's the value of the fusible links. Replace them and see how your ammeter reads.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok, what if you don't have either fusable links?. Both mine have been removed.Can you use an inline fuse? I am currently converting my alternator over to internal reg. I found that the horn relay was by-passed and the two wires on the relay were just tied together. Is it safe to run without a fusable link?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Yes you can use inline fuses (2 amp glass fuses would work just fine) on both wires leading to your amp gauge, and NO it's not safe to run without any fused protection, either fusable links or inline fuses. If originality isn't an issue I would use the inline fuses, why would anyone want a #14 fusible link have to melt and burn just to protect a circuit. You can replace a inline fuse in 10 seconds, fusible links usually make a mess of the wire and you'll need to cutout and replace it if you short it out again. Mike

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xtreem70SS396 and YellownRust,

Thanks for you input, it worked fine. The Ampmeter is toast, but everything else is working as good as can be. I don't have much time to work on my SS, so sorry for the late reply.

Thanks again,
SS4pseed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts