Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a sanity check here. I just finished updating my original wiring harness to include the headlight relay upgrade and an internal regulated alt. So my question is:
Where do I need fusible links? In between the alt and battery? On the power to the relay coils? In between ignition switch and starter? And even a little deeper, does it matter where exactly the link goes? (ie. at the alt terminal or at the positive junction block?) I wouldnt think so but I thought I'd ask some guys with experience on automotive wiring...

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"In between the alt and battery?"
Yes, one near the battery.

"On the power to the relay coils?"
May want to fuse those lines if you didn't tie them into a fused circuit. Should breaker the lines going to the headlights.

"In between ignition switch and starter?"
That line isn't normally fused. The input to the ignition switch is protected.

"And even a little deeper, does it matter where exactly the link goes? (ie. at the alt terminal or at the positive junction block?)"
Fuses, fusible links, and breakers normally go as close to the power source as possible. That way they try and protect the wire going to the item receiving power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts