Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is getting about a week to 10 days of life in the 20 amp fuse that feeds the cigarette lighter. She told me she tried to install a new one yesterday and it arced from the fuse box to the fuse while she was holding it in her hand and fried it. I know it is a constant hot circuit but that seems a bit much. She is using the lighter recepticle to charge her cell phone but nothing else. I havent had a chance to troubleshoot myself yet but she says the housing is lose in the console. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
If you're blowing fuse's with nothing hooked up .. you have a short ! sounds like the cig lighter has seen better days maybe grounding out .. pull wire off cig lighter & see if problem goes away.. if so replace cig & tell wife to becarful when putting charger in to new one :D

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It may not be the cigarette lighter. That's a courtesy circuit that runs a few things that are always hot. Things such as the courtesy lights under the dash, the dome light, aftermarket radio memory, and a clock. Maybe the clock it shorting, maybe the dome light burnt the wire, wherever it is the wire has a short to ground.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To add, I would suggest getting a wiring diagram and go from there. It doesnt work well if you dont know what color the wire is and what items are part of a circuit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive got manual for it, i just havent had a chance to investigate it as i work nights and weekends are chock full of projects. The listing on the fuse box lid says it also feeds a remote trunk lid switch but we dont have that. Looks like i need to do some digging behind all that plastic. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts