Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, ive been testing with the light, and my fuse block has NO power with the key in teh on postition. the only places i have power on my entire car is on the battery and alternator.

ive had it with this cars electrical problems, it was running fine a couple weeks ago, then i unplugged the wiring harness, including the ignition switch.

now on my car the reverse lights/neutral saftey switch was NOT ever hooked up so i dont think thats the problem. even if the neutral saftey switch ws the problem, i think that i would have power at the fuse block.

i do have a MSD 6AL installed and it has been working fine for about 3 months. i also just installed a new starter(high torque mini starter).

if you guys have any suggestions let me know cause im about ready to give up.thanks

------------------
Nick
70 El Camino SS 396
3.73 with a 12 bolt

http://www.geocities.com/bodukess/my_elco_page.html

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, following things are disconnected:

lights harness

gauges harness

heater

radio

both door ajar lights

almost every things dissconnected but the wiring that goes into the steering column.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You say that a new starter was installed? There is a fusable down there somewhere that supplies power to the main harness and to the horn relay, there should be power there.
Its like that on my 72, anyway. I don't remember exactly where it connects but I can check it out if you need.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Nick

You should have power coming to the bulkhead connector. You can check it by removing the two screws that hold the fuse block, then release the fuse block from the bulkhead connector. Check for voltage on the red wire SEE PIC This wire is connected to the horn relay. If you have voltage at the horn relay and not at the bulkhead connector, it’s likely a fusible link on the horn relay end of this power feed wire. From the horn relay the first several inches of the wire is #16 Black fusible link it connects to #12 red wire, that connects to the bulkhead.

You don’t need to take apart the fuse block. If you don’t have power at the BAT terminal on the fuse block,check the fusible link. I wanted to show the bulk head wiring if additional trouble shooting is necessary.

John 70/71 is not the same as 72. The fusible link isn’t at the starter.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 03-13-2002).]

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you think it might actually be the ignition switch itself that died?

i dont think so because then i would still have power at the fuse block, right?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
turns out the ignition switch was the problem in a way. somehow the switch was mounted too far down on the column so when the key was turned, it was not engaging the switch.

custom dash pics to come soon

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
On a 70 Chevelle, the main feed comes off of the positive battery terminal in the form of a #10 pigtail which connects to a terminal on the radiator support. This wire continues accross the radiator support to the horn relay which is used as a connection point. Check the terminal strip on the horn relay to see if 12 volts exist there. If not, go back to the terminal on the support near the battery. That little pigtail actually is a fusable link, so it may be blown. If you DO have voltage at the horn relay, check very carefully for another fusible link being fed from that point. It's from there that the battery voltage is fed to the bulkhead connector on the firewall.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
572,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts