Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm chasing a battery drain (something is shorting) on my 1969 el Camino SS non air car. I found the circuit that makes my test light go from bright to almost off, but the problem is that the tab that has the labels of what the fuse is for, is missing. There is a "cl" in the beginning, then on the other side there is a "er" at the end. It is the fuse above the tail fuse.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Fuse is CLK LTR CTSY. Clock Lighter Courtesy (The dome light and the glove box). Glove box can be a problem. Try pulling it's bulb.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'm back to try to fix this fuse problem. I installed a new stereo using the posts on the fuse block to power it. When I pull the fuse we're talking about, the stereo doesn't get power. Does this fuse power the post on the fuse block? Another question, when I use the test light method on the negative cable to find the short, when this fuse is in, the test light is pulsing in intensity. What could this mean?

Jeff

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Does this fuse power the post on the fuse block?

Yes

Another question, when I use the test light method on the negative cable to find the short, when this fuse is in, the test light is pulsing in intensity. What could this mean?

The problem may not be a hard short. May be something like a frayed wire. These are just guesses.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I pulled my glove box to try to find the glove box light. No light, or switch. Where would the wires come from for this light? I would like to have this light installed.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The draw could be the new stereo which always draws some power for the clock and station preset.

I first thought the pulsing could be the clock operating but you wouldn't get enough current through the bulb to make it go (or at least I'm fairly certain you couldn't). If it actually is running, that would definately cause pulsing since the clock operates by a set of points closing as it runs which operates a magnetic coil which then winds the clock. Then that cycle keeps repeating itself.

Since you now know which fuse you really need to find what wires (colour etc) and where they go so you can check them where they power things. You either need to get a wiring diagram or hope someone here can help you with that. I would if I had one but I don't.

Just for fun, try reaching under the dash and disconnecting the cigarette lighter. If you have a clock, disconnect it next (test after disconnecting each one).

You say the light is still slightly on when you pull that fuse so there still could be another problem. Don't worry about it till you fix the bigger problem current draw first though.

There can't be a direct short to ground or either a fuse would blow or something would burn. Now, you may have a frayed wire where dirt or copper oxide or something like that is making a electrical path from the frayed wire to ground (not a short but a high resistance path that just draws a little current) but I wouldn't chase that kind of problem first but rather check the parts connected to the ends of the wire in that circuit (eg clock, cig ligher, dome etc) for the same kind of problem.

Peter

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna fix this thing, someday!
I pulled the door Jam switches, and my test light between the negative cable and negative post went really dim. Still slightly pulsing, though. My question is this: I had to loosen the door jam switches in order to get them properly adjusted to turn off the interior light. They are loose, and can easily be removed by hand. I assume this is not supplying enough of a solid ground. Is there another way to adjust them, or can loctite be used, and not affect the ground?

Thanks for all replies...

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
What happens if you pull the dome light out? I assume this is the only courtesy light you have. Don't Loctite the door switches.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean pull the dome light out, with the switches in the door jambs, and check the test light?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes, remove the dome light. If you suspect that the current draw is on that circuit, pulling out the dome light is one way to check it. I'm assuming you already pulled the courtesy fuse and found the current draw somewhere on that line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts