Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some wire upgrading and I have about a 1 to 1.5 volt drop thru the firewall and the fuse box. I was wondering is there any way to either clean the terminals that connect by way of a chemical, or physically wire brush them back to decent. I also noticed that the back of the fuse box looks kinda bad too (oxidized) Is there any other way to get 14.2 volts of power from the alternator to under the dash without going thru the fuse box? I have been reading and searching for about a week, and the Mad Electrical website has been down, cant seem to get in touch with them. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Best way to clean the terminals is to remove them one at a time and wire brush them. TO remove take a very small flat blade screw driver (jewlers size) and push the locking tab flat. For the male terminals take a pair of pliers and push it together so there is no gap.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You may be able to replace the fuse block with an OEM type from American Autowire/Factory Fit. I went this direction on my '68 El Camino and it cost me about $75. It will probably depend on just how standardized these blocks were back in the day.

You can also remove and replace terminals from the firewall bulkhead connector. The blades are removed by squeezing the edges a bit to unlock the terminal. The sockets will require a small blade tool inserted up the rectangular notch in the connector body to press the locking finger down. Of course once you remove a terminal you may be able to clean it as well. I would consider a wire brush mounted in a Dremel for this.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
www.lectriclimited.com sells fusebox repair kits. The spade terminals in the bulkhead connector are available from NAPA, they are the GM 56 series.
BillL

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Interesting data about the '67s... those look like a bugger to get out and to clean.

But I have to ask: where did '67 come up? For that matter we don't have much of an idea of what we are working with here. My best guess, and it was completely a guess, was it is the '68 C10 in his profile.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys, yes it is a 68 C-10 with a 454 in it. I have a 69 Chevelle in my moms garage, but I can't get to it until I finish this project. You guys and this website are absolutely amazing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts