Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 base model that needs a full rewire. The previous owner, a.k.a. the stupidest man alive, did the electrical himself and basically gave the car tourettes. It's like Christine. So, I'd like to get everything yanked out and done properly. Any recommendations as to where to go in the LA area?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
It's not that hard to do under the hood. M & H sells factory style harnesses that plug in all the correct spots.
For the dash harness and back, think I would contact Dick at True Connections for a recomendation.
www.true-connections.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the references. However, I'm not going to attempt to do it myself, no way. I haven't got the skill and don't want to do what the previous owner did and ruin my car again. For a full rewire, what are all the parts I'll need? I'm trying to estimate the cost of quality parts, order them, then take the whole shebang into a shop and have them do the labor.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I just rewired my 64. Now, I'm sure that it was a little more simple than a 70, but probably not much more. It took me about 4 hours to install the dash harness, and that was with a few breaks. It's really not that difficult, it just takes patience.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Originally posted by madame72:
Thanks for the references. However, I'm not going to attempt to do it myself, no way. I haven't got the skill and don't want to do what the previous owner did and ruin my car again. For a full rewire, what are all the parts I'll need? I'm trying to estimate the cost of quality parts, order them, then take the whole shebang into a shop and have them do the labor.
It's really not that hard. If you make sure you have a wiring diagram and an assembly manual, you will be set. I once paid to have someone rewire a '66 Mustang I onced owned. At the time I thought it was a good idea. After rewiring a couple of my own cars, I really think it was a stupid waste of money.
There really is nothing that difficult, especially with the M&H stuff. You just pull out the old and plug in the new. Really simple. IF you have somone do it, you're just paying them for the time because otherwise it's easy. Obviously it is up to you. I used to be really intimidated by wiring, but not anymore. With these old cars it's still really simple. You'll save yourself money in the long run. With the M&H stuff there was no need to terminate any wire ends. You literally just plug it in. Anyway, good luck! I'd call around or look in the phone book.

·
Super Moderator
2,356 Posts
Email me up if you still looking for someone to do it and we can discuss the details of what needs to be done

Thanks

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts