Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
So, to get rid of the box the only thing that would need to be done is to come up with a different way to vent the tank. Would plugging the tank vents and using a vented cap be best?

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,582 Posts
Any ideas on where to find the mounting gasket for this?

·
Gold Founding Member
65,552 Posts
So, to get rid of the box the only thing that would need to be done is to come up with a different way to vent the tank. Would plugging the tank vents and using a vented cap be best?
I tried doing that on my 69 because with my vents plugged and the stock cap, after driving on the highway and stopping for gas, it would have pressure built up in the tank and almost blow the cap out of my hand when removing it.

I figured a vented cap would fix it but I found out that every time I took off fast that gas would dump out through the cap.

Now I never did figure out if maybe I had bought a bad cap or not, I just re-connected the vent tubes like they were from the factory and put the stock cap back on.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I'm having the undercariage of my car restored right now (frame off the car repainted gloss black, new body bushings, whole underside of the car from the firewall all the way to the rear bumper painted gloss red like the rest of the car, etc...) and I was debating if I should keep that vent box or not, but after thinking about it, I'm pretty much decided on leaving it there. I'm not sure how we'll connect it yet but according to the guy who's doing the restoring for me it appears that there's a way to connect it even if I don't have any front-mounted canister.

Claude.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Cars that came with the "EEC" system had 3 vent lines on the gas tank that hook up to the vapor separator.

As long as yours is air tight and not plugged up, it's good. Plug three of the ports and then blow into the fourth one. Air shouldn't leak out or escape anywhere. Then blow into each inlet separately while plugging the other 2. Air should flow out the exit port that would lead to the charcoal canister.

Here's how it should hook up...

The blue lines represent 5/16 vent lines.
The green line is a 3/8 vent line.
The red arrow points to where the charcoal canister line would hook up. If you don't want to run a charcoal canister, you can still use the vapor separator as a vent. Just leave this port open. Some people(me) attach one of those cheap clear plastic fuel filters to it to keep bugs and dirt out.

Hope this helps. I'm not much of an artist. :D

Tag. Can you bring the pic back?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the info on the vapor can. I just last week took apart my interior and found that strange looking can and wondered what it was. It's in good condition so I plan on just leaving it alone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 72 with the three vents in the tank but they are not hooked up to anything so I was wondering if I could hook the middle one up for a return line? anyone know if that would work or not ?

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Old thread here Tim (2013), you may get your answer in the other thread you started, this is a good read though. I posted in the other one.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.