Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I put this in the wrong place earlier, so I will try again. My '46 Ford has a '79 Pontiac Sunbird gas tank. The gas guage doesn't work (cyberdyne digital). I removed the unit. Which setting on the ohm meter should I be using? 2M? 20M? Depending on the settings I get some kind of reading, but I have no idea what it all means. I know I'm supposed to be looking for 0 ohms at empty and 90 at full, but I'm not sure how to get that info from the meter.

Second (bigger) problem. Can this thing be fixed? Napa or Pontiac don't offer a new unit any longer. Now what? :confused: I'm trying to get this thing to work, but I don't really want to have to buy a whole new tank just because the damn guage won't work. :eek:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The 2Mohm and 20Mohm scales are only multipliers for the meter. If you have a real meter (analog) type ohmmeter, the meter will read 0 to 2M on the one scale and 0 to 20M on the next scale up. If you are reading something like 90 ohms, the needle will barely move because the scale is set so high. Setting the meter on a scale such as 200 ohms would be easier to read. If 200 ohms is full scale, then 90 ohms is about mid-range on the meter. That way it's easier to set the needle move from 0 to 90 ohms.
Part should be obtainable. If you have the part number, from the dealer, try partsvoice.com. Probably be able to find one.
www.partsvoice.com

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I have a digital meter and I believe I set it at 200 ohms. When I removed my sending
unit I touched the black ground to the ground hole on the sender and then touched the positive to the power cord. Then I moved the bob up and down when the bob was at the top
it read about 16 when it was at the bottom it was 117. I haven't wired it yet to the dash but
I think it will work.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Empty (float down) should read around 0 ohms. Full (float up) should read around 90 ohms. Sounds like the sender is have a problem.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No luck at partsvoice.com. I did get a part number I believe. Looks like it will just go back in and I won't have a guage. This car isn't a keeper, just a quick fix. Napa has a universal unit. Anyone have any experience with those? The Napa guy on the phone wasn't able to relate to me how to install the thing. :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts