Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get some advice on a fuel gauge problem.

My 70 chevelle has the Autometer Procomp ultralight gauges in it. They were installed before I bought the car.

The fuel gauge (and I knew this before I bought it) always reads way way above full and barely moves as gas gets drank up.

I had a shop run a look at it, and he tested the ohmage on the sending unit (with the wire to the guage disconnected) at 250 OHMS -- not the standard 0 -90 ohms. He said it's grounded good, gauge out of line, supposed to be stock tank and stock sending unit.

This would pretty much point directly at the sending unit. Would anyone else agree or disagree.. Just looking for some opinions before I order a sending unit. Any reco's on sending units.. just a stock replacment should be cool huh?

Thanks,
JH

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If he took a good reading between the center terminal of the sender and the sender frame, the sender isn't good. Stock replacement (new) is your best bet. Shop around for price if you want to. The prices vary. Bought my one for the 64 out of some place in North Carolina that I can't remember the name of.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
I replaced my sending unit last spring, got it at the Chevy dealer, warehouse had Five of them on the shelf! I always check the dealer first, you will be surprised at what you can still get from them.

Rocky

1 - 4 of 4 Posts