Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently completed a new sbc 383 engine build. The builder recommends 1/2" fuel lines. My carburetor calls for 6 psi. What size fuel lines are fuel pump psi ratings based on? I know a bigger line will decrease the pressure, so I need to find one rated for 6 psi on a 1/2" line.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Recently completed a new sbc 383 engine build. The builder recommends 1/2" fuel lines. My carburetor calls for 6 psi. What size fuel lines are fuel pump psi ratings based on? I know a bigger line will decrease the pressure, so I need to find one rated for 6 psi on a 1/2" line.

I doubt you need the 1/2 inch line. Likely you will do what the builder says but lots of guys run engines much large than that 383 on 3/8 lines with no sues.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
A larger line won't decrease the pressure. Decreased pressure is caused by smaller lines. Fuel pump psi ratings are based on flow, as in 150 gpm @ 6 psi. What type of pump are you considering and where are you going to place it?

·
Registered
972 Posts
The fuel damand of most 383 can be supplied with any on block pump or any 110 gph electric with 3/8 line.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
My 383 (465hp) runs VERY well with a 3/8" line from the tank to a Carter 120 gph @ 6psi block mounted pump, 6AN to Holley regulator and 6AN to a PRC adjustable fuel log at the 750 Holley. Pressure set at 6 lbs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone. Spoke with the builder and it was a misunderstanding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts