Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my motor back together, and the way that I put the fuel pump on goes as follows. I get the pushrod and cover it in grease, so it stays up in the hole where it goes. I use enough grease that it wont slide back out. My question is will all that grease create too much goo for the pushrod to go back and forth thus prematurely wearing the fuel pushrod eccentric or anything like that?

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wouldn't think so Rat, however I just bump the starter to get the push rod lobe at the far end so I can push the rod up in the hole and then mount the pump. This makes it easy to get the pump actuator arm under the push rod and also lessens the spring tension of trying to hold the pump next to the block while starting the bolts. Good Luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You'll be OK. The cam well push it one way and the pump lever well push it the other way. When the engine heats up the grease well loosen up even more

------------------
Lynn Robinson
Pacheco, Calif.
64 Malibu SS, 71 Camaro SS
"Just Hit the Ball and Touch em All"
Team Chevelle Member #246

·
Registered
166 Posts
I believe I read in the factory service manual that you are SUPPOSED to grease it up in order to hold it in place. Hey Kevin, that starter bumping trick sounds cool, next time I change fuel pumps, I gotta try it.

------------------
Ian McDermott
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Gold Member #101
E-mail: [email protected]
Web page: chevelle.dhs.org
ICQ UIN: 3923441

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hi guys the proper way is to install a bolt in the motor mount hole in the front of the engine that is inline with the push rod,hold the rod up tighten the bolt finger tight holding the rod in place.Just don't forget to remove it...FRED

·
Registered
85 Posts
....and then replace it with a short bolt so your block doesn't ooze oil out that hole!! Len.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.