Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the fuel pump rods different froma small block to big block? Ihave a new fuel pump and cannot get it to pump any fuel, I used the one from my small block because I was told they were the same. thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
Steven,
They are the same I put one in my engine and had no problems.

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
Steven, The fuel pumps are different, they will bolt on to the block but will not work correctly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry my wording looks confusing I have a big block fuel pump just used the same pump push rod from my small block.

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
Did you get any fuel to pump yet?? You should be able to read vacuum on one side of the pump and pressure on the other. Pour a small amount in the carb and start the engine, I found it will prime easier if the engine starts than if you are just cranking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hooked up my electric pump to see if it would pull gas from the tank, nothing I know they are designed to push gas not pull it but I thought I would try it. I also have about 3 gallons of gas in the tank, I do not have the return line plugged off but I believe it is supposed to be open because it is just a vapor return line for the charcoal canister. Anyone have some idea?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did you push the rod up before inserting fuel pump,the pump will still bolt in place but no fuel will pump,i have been their,done that,this happened to me when i installed mine in my 454,thought i had rod up and i didnt. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
167 Posts
MR454SS has a good point, the pump will bolt on whether or not the pushrod is up against the actuator arm of the pump. You can use a little dab of grease on the pushrod to hold it in place while you put the pump on. I do believe the pushrods are different from a small block to a big block.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.