Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all
I'm looking for a little help and hope someone else has solved this issue. I've a 1970 Chevelle with slightly built 454 (dyno 525HP) backed up with stock 4 spd. Engine compartment gets pretty warm where mechanical pump can't supply gas to carb, once warmed up pump fails and starves engine. I've added an electronic pusher pump which solves my problem but I don't like the external pump arrangement. I'd like to get an in-tank electronic pump set up but they are all for EFI with way to much pressure (58psi versus required 7psi). The only way I know to make this work is with a regulator and return line which I'd like to avoid. Anyone know of an in-tank set up that will run at 7psi? Anyone know how to resolve mechanical pump issue without the pusher pump at the back? I've got a lot invested in the car so don't mind spending a few buck on the solution but would like to keep it simple. I've got to think I'm not the only one with the issue and hope someone else has solved the problem.
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
You need a return line with todays gasoline.. Just run a 1/4" line from a tee in the supply line to the carb. Run it to the tank. Solder a piece of 1/4" tubing into the sending unit cap and put a piece of hose in between them like the supply.. Of you could buy the RobbMc set up..

·
Registered
933 Posts
You have lots of options,mallory or holley in line set to 7 psi,no regulator needed.Pumps will pull to push ,not a great solution.A bit of advice ,sump your pump and use a return system.Save your self the aggrevation of eventually having to do it.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need a return line with todays gasoline.. Just run a 1/4" line from a tee in the supply line to the carb. Run it to the tank. Solder a piece of 1/4" tubing into the sending unit cap and put a piece of hose in between them like the supply.. Of you could buy the RobbMc set up..
Thanks, if I was going to add a return line would you do that before or after the regulator? My current supply goes through the mechanical pump, filter, regulator and then carb. With a return line do you think the mechanical pump would function without an electric pusher? Sorry to ask so many questions - I really appreciate your help

·
Registered
933 Posts
Its either mechanical pump or electric.If your mechanical is not working its either the diaphragm is gone or the cam is rounded off.If your going electric take the mech pump off,remove the rod and use a block off plate.Did you try a new mech pump.

·
Registered
933 Posts
By the way,ive installed sumped pumps and the regulator will bring it down to the proper 7 psi pressure with a return line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts