Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I an running a Holley blue electric with 1/2 inch line tank to carb with the regulator that comes with the pump. The motor is a 615 horse 502 and the carb is a Pro-Systems 1000 hp. I am running an Earl's sintered bronze filter just after the pump which is mounted by the tank. I also have a liquid filled gauge under the hood. My problem is I just cannot get a steady fuel pressure reading. I will set it too 7.5 and drive around and open the hood and it will read 3-4 psi. Adjust it back up and it reads 8-9. Now somebody local told me that the regulator I have is only good for 400 hp or so. Any ideas? What would be a better regulator, maybe with 1/2 inlet and outlet? Thanks for the help.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
If you do not have a filter between the tank and the pump it is likely the filter after the pump is clogged as already mentioned or the pump is loading up.

The regulator could also be the problem, but I have seen those regualtors work fine in 9 second 3800 pound cars.

Have you considered using a mechanical pump? unless of course you have a Gen VI block soes not have a fuel pump boss :(

If your so inclined I have mechanical pumps in stock and the Holley regulators if you would like to test with a used regulator that I know is working fine.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
I would try a different guage. I've never gotten a good reading from the liquid filled ones in the engine compartment, when they are warm.

I put in an electric guage in the cockpit, and the fuel pressure is now rock solid. The stupid liquid guage I had under the hood went in the trash. (along with the 2 others before it :) )

I think the liquid ones work ok when they are cold. But once they are warm, I'd ignore what they say.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I got rid of my liquid filled gauge for this very reason. Under hood temps would make it read low. Replaced with Mechanical and no more bizzare readings.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks or the help guys. This is the first I have heard of a problem with the liquid gauges. I don't usually leave it there, just to check pressure, but my car has been off the road awhile so I wanted to check it. I did check the fuel filter and it was fine.

Tom, it is a GenV block so no I can't run a mechanical pump. Thanks for the offer on the regulator, I may just go buy another. I live near the GA Summit retail store so easy to do. I will try to get a reading off of a mechanical gauge first though.

Bill

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It is the gauge for sure. Go take it for a spin and when you get back pop the hood and look for a little rubber nipple on the side of the gauge. Very carefully and slowly peel the rubber piece back to let a LITTLE air into the gauge..presto ! instant fuel pressure. Those little liquid filled gauges are POS.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Thanks or the help guys. This is the first I have heard of a problem with the liquid gauges. I don't usually leave it there, just to check pressure, but my car has been off the road awhile so I wanted to check it. I did check the fuel filter and it was fine.

Tom, it is a GenV block so no I can't run a mechanical pump. Thanks for the offer on the regulator, I may just go buy another. I live near the GA Summit retail store so easy to do. I will try to get a reading off of a mechanical gauge first though.

Bill
Yes, good idea on checking the gauge.

You should have a filter before the pump. I saw your address as Carmel NY, I was going to have my brother drop it off to you, he lives in Somers.

Good luck and let us know what it was..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, yes I work up in NY in the summer months and am down here in GA in the winter. What kind of toy does your brother have? Would love to meet up with him and you if you are ever in the area. Thanks again,

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Tom, yes I work up in NY in the summer months and am down here in GA in the winter. What kind of toy does your brother have? Would love to meet up with him and you if you are ever in the area. Thanks again,

Bill

Come on out to Lebanon Valley for Hemmings Musclepalooza or some other event.

No toy for my brother, had Mustangs but nothing right now..Let me know when you are back up here..

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
You really need a filter between the tank and the pump. I would replace the regulator that came with the Holley blue with a Holley VOLUMAX regulator. That small reg. that you use now only has a .220 restriction where the VOLUMAX has a .437 restriction. I also feel that you are a undersized on the pump and should move up to a Summit #G3136 -- 140 GPH which is a dependable, fair priced item and helped my similar combo drop ET and live the past 4 years on the street and track trouble free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts